Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the right hand side of the bike sort of under the battery compartment but on the outside of the bike there is a small tank with a level of high and low. What is that tank for?

Blessings!
Rich

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
that would be your coolant

·
Registered
445 Posts
That would be your coolant reservoir. Top it of with a 50/50 mix if needed

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Yep, it's the coolant overflow reservoir, just like cars have. When the engine gets hot, the radiator cap opens and lest coolant into this tank. When the engine cools down again, a vacuum is created in the cooling system which again opens the radiator cap and lest the coolant back in. If you just bought the bike, you might want to change the coolant completely, and flush out the system with distilled water.

·
Super Moderator
11,995 Posts
Um, don't "top it off" when the bikes cold. You'll end up overfiowing coolant on the ground. Go for a ride and check it after the bike heats up. Just make sure the level then is between the full and low marks.

Am guessing you never had a water-cooled bike before?

·
Registered
445 Posts
And I'd top it off, if needed, while it is on the center stand to get a good reading. Just like the oil, when on the side stand the site gauge won't indicate the correct level.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Um, don't "top it off" when the bikes cold. You'll end up overfiowing coolant on the ground. Go for a ride and check it after the bike heats up. Just make sure the level then is between the full and low marks.

Am guessing you never had a water-cooled bike before?
Not agreeing or disagreeing but Ma Kaw has a special notice in the manual to check it cold.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think it is easier to read the level in the tank when using green coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Green coolant (ethylene glycol) is the ONLY coolant that should be used in the Vulcan 750. It certainly works better than Engine Ice (unless you're racing, and the rules don't allow ethylene glycol) and I wouldn't even consider something like DEX COOL, which is alcohol based, and in no way suitable for an engine designed for ethylene glycol. Just like refrigerants, it's temperature/pressure points are completely different, and it requires a different radiator and T-stat. Just make sure the ethylene glycol is silicate free. I use Maxima brand premixed motorcycle specific coolant, because the additional cost spread over 2 years is inconsequential. But any brand of silicate free ethylene glycol automotive coolant concentrate mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts