Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple friends went on a day trip to Little River Canyon in north east Alabama, near Ft Payne. The morning was just a bit chilly but gloriously sunny. A perfect day to ride.

We headed out from Trussville up U.S.11 all the way to Ft. Payne. Passing thru Collinsville we past a huge gathering for Collinsville trade days. must have been 5000 people there, judging by the number of cars parked. wanted to stop and look, but we were here to ride.
Our first stop was actually at Desoto Falls, just a few miles from the canyon. If you go to one, might as well hit the other.

There is a man made dam creating a small lake you can swim in, then there is a natural set of falls. They were raging this time because of recent rainfall.

Then it was off to the main attraction. The road running next to the Little River is quite twisty with lots of hills. It was warming up nicely now and since we were stopping every few hundred yards we mostly kept our gear to just helmets. We were being very carefull, dont want to mess up a great ride with road rash. If you want to just ride, the road is enjoyable and several sport bikes went zipping on by without stopping for any of the sights. I however , recomend that you do stop and take a look .

the main viewing areas have rail fences that suggest, but dont stop you from going to the edge of the canyon. Some of the lesser used stops have nothing but a cliff!!!!

Thats Terry being Braver than I am. That is about a 250 foot drop under that rock. May not look like it from the pic, but that is scarry high.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
2 years ago the family and I rode around the Canyon while camping in De Soto State Park. There was a large group of mentally challenged people repelling some of those higher ledges. Made my butt draw up just watching them. Also that place is beautiful in the fall with the leaves changing. It river down at the foot of the Canyon is fun to play in in the summer. COLD water in August!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Terry has amazing side-burns. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 years ago the family and I rode around the Canyon while camping in De Soto State Park. There was a large group of mentally challenged people repelling some of those higher ledges. Made my butt draw up just watching them. Also that place is beautiful in the fall with the leaves changing. It river down at the foot of the Canyon is fun to play in in the summer. COLD water in August!
Thats why we called it "Titanic water"

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the update, phurp. Don't get me wrong, I got out of bed later that morning feeling GUILTY for not being on the road with you guys. In hindsight, however, I would have been quite ill prepared for the trip. Hope there's a next time.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Thanks for the pics phurp, would have enjoyed that ride, but went on another with a bit of twisties itself...lol... We got in about 175 mi. ride Sunday, went down to Signal Mtn. and rode the W-Rd. (W=Whacky)...

Sorta kept you busy in the senic places, didn't take any pics myself, got that photo off google maps...lol...
Then yesterday we rode down to Lynville Tn., which was a good ride of about 165 mi. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Judging by what I can see in the photos and the video, your friend's Magna is in amazing shape--especially for its age. I don't think I've ever seen one that sharp elsewhere.

If my history lessons are correct, when that bike first came out, it was the world's fastest production motorcycle (but was soon eclipsed by other designs). Because of its features and power (for its time), it is truly a special machine....:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy Love the chrome front fender--I gather that was factory original, too. It's cool how the Magna has that menacing, bad-boy look...even just sitting still.

This forum desparately needs more threads like this one. THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time and trouble to post your story, pix, and video!!!

Fun roads, good friends, great times, cool bikes and neat pix....in the end, that's what it's all about....:beerchug:....:smiley_th

·
Registered
399 Posts
i LOVE the Honda Magna. I want a v65 so bad. :( maybe one day. haha

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Nice trip man, thanks for the report. My irrational fear of heights kicked in looking at those last couple pictures. Speaking of which, is Elvis doing Kung Fu? Awesome video too; the second one more than the first. You got some skill holding that camera and filming while riding, brother!!! Again, thanks for this awesome post!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts