Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 6-8 of us (mostly old farts) heading out in the morning Friday the 13th (prayers please) leaving Cowan Tn. about 8 am on about a 700 mi. 3 day ride up into E. Tn. thru Crossville, Petros and the devils triangle, thru La Follette and into Cumberland Gap, and thru the tunnel into E. Ky. Spending the night in Middlesboro ... +/- 230 mi.
The 2nd day going up into Harlan Ky. and back down South thru. Pennington Gap in Western Va., and on down the Trail of the Lonesome Pine thru Kyles Ford Tn., Morristown, Cosby, Gatlinburg Tn., and thru Cherokee N.C., to Bryson City N.C., staying the night there... +/- 247 mi.
The 3rd day we will be heading back to Cowan Tn. thru Tellico Plains and the Cherahala Skyway ... +/- 225 mi. for a total of +/- 702 mi.
I mapped the trip out, so if they follow my routes there will be no interstates, mostly less traveled 2-lane blacktops...lol...
I was beginning to think I might not be able to make the trip, as I got up Monday morning with a very sore & hurting in the left side of my right knee, kinda worried it might be a blood clot, it stayed sore & hurt till last night and seemed to get better, now I think it might be ole arther...
Looks like I will probably go, as of now...:smiley_th... I sure hope I get to go after looking forward to it for a few weeks and planning the routes, should be a great ride...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
If I didn't have to work in the opposite direction this weekend, might have met you in Bryson, that's only about 3 hours and a beautiful ride I'm sure. I was just next to Asheville last weekend for my first hilly ride on the bike. Should be a perfect weekend.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
/\ Been a while since I was in Bryson, I actually started school there though, then in 1961 I worked topo map inspection (USGS/TVA) out of there, stayed in the old Calhoun Hotel...
I emailed them 2-3 yrs. ago stating I would stay a night or 2 there if I could get my old rate...lol... Guess what, they emailed me back giving me 1-night at $6...lol... I probably will just stay where the others do though, and save that for later...
I talked a lot to the old man Calhoun who was in his 80s at the time, they said he lived to be 104, I think... I believe his son & daughter-in-law ran the Hotel then, he just stayed there with them...
It should be a good ride, a bit of cool for the 3-days which will be great except maybe for the mornings....

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'M JEALOUS!! Man half of that I said I was gonna ride after our trip on what sounds like part of the part we made. Been worked ragged ever sense going back to work. Overtime Overtime!No trip through the Cherahala Skyway and Robins to the Moonshine 28 yet. Ya'll have a good ride and no sliding on the tail pipes please.:motorcycl

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'M JEALOUS!! Man half of that I said I was gonna ride after our trip on what sounds like part of the part we made. Been worked ragged ever sense going back to work. Overtime Overtime!No trip through the Cherahala Skyway and Robins to the Moonshine 28 yet. Ya'll have a good ride and no sliding on the tail pipes please.:motorcycl
Awww it'll be a bit slower than when we went... Wish you could just scoot on up in the morning to Cookies in Cowan and make the ride with us...
I think it's supposed to be some cool mornings but probably good during the day...
Maybe we can make another run, at least by next year...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I would like to have ridden down to Middlesboro and met up with you all tomorrow but as it stands right now i have to work Sat. Semi retirement ,kinda sucks.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
/\ Hey Denny, that would have been great... I think most of the folks want to go up to Harlan tomorrow, at least that is the plan... I reckon we'll be leaveing out from Cowan about 8am Cent. this morning...
So, I gotta eat a bite & finish my lil travel loadin up, and head over to Cowan shortly, not as cool as I thought they said it was gonna be yet this morning, I still show 68*...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Old Dog,
That sounds like an awesome ride! I've always wanted to do a multi-nighter! Have lots of fun and ride safely!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well we made Middlesboro about 6 pm and are staying at the Holiday Inn Express... We did a bit different, after hitting Crossville we went up 127 to Clark Range, then 62 over thru Wartburg and took 116 at Petros thru the devils triangle and on to Lake City and made a lil jog via 441 over to Norris Dam and back then on up to here in Middlesboro... I reckon we will hit out in the morning to Harlan and down to Bryson City N.C. ...
PS-Wound up being 8 bikes 1 Trike and 12 people... The ones that thought we should make more than 230-250mi. a day are now wanting to cut it shorter, I tried to tell them that these roads were not 500 mi. a day roads, they are wore out...lol...

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
ChuckA,,, if you do decide to ride Moonshine 28 let me know.
and Old Dog, if you were coming a bit further down I'd have to join you guys for a day.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
ChuckA,,, if you do decide to ride Moonshine 28 let me know..........
Hope to get to this year. They are working me to the bone. 55 hours this week of climbing ladders on these ol' fake knees isn't helping at all. Old Dog, ride one of them good twisters for me. Ya'll have a ball at it.:beerchug:

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Yep, cooler here in N. GA too, goinna be a cool start this morning.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
/\ We had a cool one also 48* w/fog when we left the motel, we went up and over to Harlan via the northern route US 119... dropped down thru Pennington Gap & Jonesville Va. via US 421 & 58 to SR 70 and on down thru Kyles Ford to US 11W where one of our riders W/the wife as a passenger went down, had just had the 2 new Michelin Commander IIs put on his 1500 Vulcan, +/-300 mi. on them when the rear blew out, he said he had to add a bit of air that morning, but he checked it and it had gone down a couple of pounds to 42* about 25-30 mi. before the blow out... He and his wife were beat up a bit but seemed ok when the EMTs checked them out... They went down on a straight 4-lane (US 11W) at about 55-60 mph., the bike I think will be totaled...
Boy was it a nice one, well decked out even had hard bags and the nice passenger seat, had shine like a new bike, stood right up to the best of them... They loaded it up in a U-Haul and went home...
That made for a very long day/ride, then thru Gatlinburg was the pits, and on thru Cherokee to Bryson City...
I had not been in Gatlinburg in many years, I hope never to go back...
It was 49* this Morning in Bryson City but didn't feel near as cool as the Middlesboro 48*, less fog may have been the difference... Anyway after that bout, and one of the folks wanting to get back home we changed the route and just took US 19 down to US 64 and on to I-75 and home... I got here a spit after 1 pm., with a total of 725 mi. on the trip meter...
That about sums it up...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Lot of miles for curvy roads. I know a bit warmer weather would have been better for the ride. Sorry to hear of the couple going down and out of all the roads, a four lane. AND I just bought a Commander II for the rear my bike. Hope that is just a single case.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Lot of miles for curvy roads. I know a bit warmer weather would have been better for the ride. Sorry to hear of the couple going down and out of all the roads, a four lane. AND I just bought a Commander II for the rear my bike. Hope that is just a single case.
I have over 4k on a set of Commander II's with no issues other than they got noisy in the turns after about 2k miles .That and I just don't like the way they handle as compared to the Dunlop Elite 3's they replaced,Definitely not as good in wet conditions. JMO.

Sounds like a good ride except for the blowout and mayhem that went with that mess.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not had any issues with the Commander IIs myself, real good wear on my rear that I replaced, and I went back with a front & rear Commander II....
Like Denny said, I don't think they are real good on a wet road, I remember doing a bit of dirt biking turns on that last one when the road was a bit damp... I really think they are a bit hard for wear so they don't stick as good as a softer tire, I guess it is like the old sayin, you can't have your cake and eat it too... His was no way a wear problem as they just had +/-300 mi. on them... They were new and since he had spoke wheels were tubed...
I hate low pressure tubeless tires, but like high pressure tubeless tires, that is one reason why when I bought my Custom Sportster I had in the deal that they would switch the 21" spoke wheel out for a 19" cast wheel... I also made the dealer install tubes in my 61" zero turn lawn mower, so I could run lower pressures without them leaking down... For me, if it's going to run under 25-30 psi it's getting tubed, if it's over 25-30 psi I'm going tubeless...
That is just me I guess, but that's how I see it...
I think there had to be a fault with the tube or the install, like maybe they pinched the tube, or some way it was bleeding air, or the valve was leaking, but he had checked the valve, I know I have had some of the small bicycle high pressure (110 psi) road bike china made tubes that would leak/bleed down pretty darn quick... He had checked the tire approx. 25-30 mi. before the blowout and it had 42 psi, so I just don't know what was wrong, I just know they were lucky not to get hurt worse than they were, and it messed up a very nice 1500 Vulcan...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here is our lil 3 day route... All was great except for one riders blow out, and someone needing to get back the last day for a birthday party, and putting us on the interstate early instead of riding the Cherahala Skyway as planned...:doh:...
http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=ks28nxmq

1 - 18 of 18 Posts