Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a liscense plate crack across the top from vibration and wind. After getting a new plate, I decided to reinforce it with a metal frame.

Well, here is that frame now!
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle Gas

Any ideas how you are supposed to keep the plate and frames from cracking?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Vulcan_Frank_750

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I had a liscense plate crack across the top from vibration and wind. After getting a new plate, I decided to reinforce it with a metal frame.

View attachment 55403

Happy Thanksgiving!
There's been some posts about plates cracking. Is your engine vibrating more than usual?

Your frame looks like a flat piece of metal, maybe one that's been stamped will hold up better. The one I'm using is chromed and stamped, so the back side is a concave shape. Chrome may also add some strength.

I've never broken a plate, got the frame so I could mount turn signals on the plate.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I use a backer plate cut from an old aluminum sign. Eliminated all the cracking. I used to make and sell them for a few bucks until the postage got to $6 to mail them.

Reactions: dirtrack650

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Ditto on what flitecontrol said. I had a corner break off of my plate almost immediately after getting the bike, so I cut a rectangle backer out of steel and bolted them together at all four corners. Haven't had a problem since. Since it is a backer, it can be solid and you don't have to worry about a thin edged frame snapping.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts

View attachment 55403

Happy Thanksgiving!
Fixed your spelling in the title for you. You're welcome! 😂🤣😂

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the backside of the frame. It was decently thick. It's a cheap Chinese piece.
Rectangle Wood Wood stain Hardwood Font

Attachments

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
This is the backside of the frame. It was decently thick. It's a cheap Chinese piece.
View attachment 55421
Looks to be the same shape. I can't tell if that's cast or stamped. The other side looks flat, so maybe it's cast? A stamped piece should be stronger.

My turn signal bracket is mounted on the two top bolts, so maybe an extra plate will help stiffen it up. I used aluminum to make the bracket. Probably anything is better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I’d just make a backer plate with 1/8 steel plate, strong but you can still cut it fairly easily with a metal jigsaw blade. That with some washers/bushings should dampen the vibration enough. Then you can use any trim you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts