Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aftermarket pipes on my bike which makes it pretty loud. Well the license plate rattles itself off. I have a piece of steel mounted to the license plate holder to put my plate on. I have had my last license plate actually crack from the vibration and exhaust air. That's why i mounted the steel plate which works to protect my plate. But I have tried screws, bolts with washers and nuts. It all just rattles loose and falls off. I thought of moving the license plate holder but I am not very mechanical and wouldn't know where to start. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Also looking for advice on where to find something to strap on or mount to my bike for extra storage, I have saddlebags already but they don't hold all that much. Just looking for something to hold tools and etc.
thanks.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I used small rubber bushings on the bolts either side of the mounting bracket and locknuts. Haven't lost the plate yet .....

·
Banned
431 Posts
thread lock on the bolts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
^^^ OK - Sportster riders know, blue lock-tite, or if you don't plan on removing the plate red lock-tite... Personally I would try the blue lock tite first, I think that should solve your problem... Then there are the Ny-lock nuts...
PS-BTW-Blue lock-tite is for bolts & nuts that you will need to remove sooner or later, and the Red lock-tite is for studs or bolts & nuts you won't need to remove...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I used small rubber bushings on the bolts either side of the mounting bracket and locknuts. Haven't lost the plate yet .....
Self locking nuts, lock washers and thread locker are all good ideas, but I think dragon159 has hit upon the ultimate solution. The rubber bushings or washers help isolate the licence plate from vibration, and the locknuts are insurance to keep the plate from falling off.:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well.....I did all three...nylock nuts, lock washers, and blue loctite. I also used a metal licence plate frame over the plate, and a sheet of 16 gauge stainless steel under it.

Used bolts in all four corners, and had a strip of rubber across the top under the stainless plate.

Overkill for sure but the sucker never loosened up , cracked or fell off... ;)

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I gotta ask, what the heck are y'all ridin that vibes and shakes more than my Sportster...???
A Vn750 & an FJR that out shakes my Sportster, this I gotta see...
I believe y'all are waaaayy behind on a tune up...lol...
Ha, ha, just jokin...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
not behind on a tune up, just loud exhaust. People ask me all the time what kind of harley I have because of the loud pipes they hear. I tell them a japanese version harley just to mess with them. Today I bought self locking bolts and nuts and washers all around with lock tite and took a ride yeah it held nice. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I gotta ask, what the heck are y'all ridin that vibes and shakes more than my Sportster...???
A Vn750 & an FJR that out shakes my Sportster, this I gotta see...
I believe y'all are waaaayy behind on a tune up...lol...
Ha, ha, just jokin...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...
I was thinking the same thing, but I think that the plates are different in diferrent states. Ours in Tex are made from strong tin. Replaced every 5 yrs and they are still in good shape when replaced.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
not behind on a tune up, just loud exhaust. People ask me all the time what kind of harley I have because of the loud pipes they hear. I tell them a chinese version harley just to mess with them. Today I bought self locking bolts and nuts and washers all around with lock tite and took a ride yeah it held nice. Thanks for all of your input.
japanese, japanese, japanese! if they were chinese my 86 would have been dead in 87!

I'm on my second ohio plate from splitting, second one with a frame around it. I'm going full steel plate on the next one!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well, no plate problems on my FJR...although it could crack due to excessive G forces.

As I said what I "did" I was talking past tense...back when I had my Vulcan.

The plates here in Missouri are made from what feels like flattened out old aluminum cans. Even a fairly smooth running bike can crack them if they are not bolted to something solid at all four corners.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Well, no plate problems on my FJR...although it could crack due to excessive G forces.

As I said what I "did" I was talking past tense...back when I had my Vulcan.

The plates here in Missouri are made from what feels like flattened out old aluminum cans. Even a fairly smooth running bike can crack them if they are not bolted to something solid at all four corners.

KM
We must have higher quality prisoners in Kentucky or we could be wasting too much recycled metal.I have never had a plate crack or break.I did have bolts loosen up before I discovered nylock nuts.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
My plate cracked too with stock exhausts. I made a 1/8 inch thick aluminum backing plate and used aircraft nuts.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at least I know I am not the only person that had cracked plates.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yep. Mine cracked. Put a frame around it. The frame cracked. Now I have a solid backing AND a frame. No more problems so far. All this with stock exhaust. :doh:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, I never would have thought... but my license plate fell off this morning on the way in to work!! Unbelievable... I didn't notice until later after returning from lunch, but it was gone... bolts and all... the mounting bracket was still there. I retraced my route back to work, and found the plate on the side of the road... it was bent in a u-shape, and one of the mounting holes was ripped through... wow, crazy!

I guess I'll have to try what was suggested here and make a metal backing plate for it! lol!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Well, I never would have thought... but my license plate fell off this morning on the way in to work!! Unbelievable... I didn't notice until later after returning from lunch, but it was gone... bolts and all... the mounting bracket was still there. I retraced my route back to work, and found the plate on the side of the road... it was bent in a u-shape, and one of the mounting holes was ripped through... wow, crazy!

I guess I'll have to try what was suggested here and make a metal backing plate for it! lol!
I used over sized fender washers on mine.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts