Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have the cause to get a sturdy license plate holder for their ride. I am open to suggestions. Good news me and my bike are okay for the most part, bad news I got rear ended by a damn cager. He only got the license plate frame (phew!)

·
Registered
157 Posts
There was a thread a while back over on Yahoo about vibrations in the plate holder and eliminating them through (among other methods) a sturdier plate holder.

Watching "Steel Dreams" this morning and they were showing bikes at Laughlin (NV) bike show. Showed a glimpse of a bike where the license plate itself was curved in the shape of the fender. Guess that's legal. Looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The plate on my Savage was in bad shape. Bent and mangled and split on one side. I cut a piece of aluminum siding the size and shape of the plate and cemented it to the back of the license plate with silicone glue, and used washers front an back on all four corners to hold it it solid. The MVA clerk looked at me a bit funny when I turned the plate in after I sold her, but didn't say anything. They go in the trash anyway.
I have Signal Dynamics plate frame with the led bar on the Vulcan, really heavy chrome plated solid hunk of metal. No problems so far with this one.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
WalMart has started carrying license plate frames for Motorcycles.. metal ones.. about $7. That and a bit of aluminum backing should keep your license plate nice and snug

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
WalMart now has oversized, thick chrome License Plate Holders, along with
many other MC items, including quality helmets, Mobile 1 twin cylinder oil in
10-40 or 20-50w, and a few oil filters, etc.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
custom motorcycle license plate frames

I've been VERY pleased with the license plate frames I've ordered from www.engravenet.com. They're solid, hold the plate securely, and fit the Vulcan beautifully. You can personalize them with messages, colors, fonts. I bought several!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
IASKRU12 said:
Anyone ever have the cause to get a sturdy license plate holder for their ride. I am open to suggestions. Good news me and my bike are okay for the most part, bad news I got rear ended by a damn cager. He only got the license plate frame (phew!)
I hate the VN750 license plate holder that puts the plate below the fender... I would always back the bike into something when putting it away and crack my plate. I solved this by using a license plate backplate which was polished aluminum, about 2.5mm thick. This solved my cracking plate issue... But it didn't solve the issue that the design of the VN750 plate holder left alot to be desired by me... So...

I took the plate holder apart and came up with something I liked better...
See http://www.bulldogsbike.com/bikepics/bbbvn750h.jpg which is located at http://www.bulldogsbike.com/vn750.htm. This design change puts the plate up and over the fender. You lose the plate light, but with a frame with a plate light that problem is solved. I like this change more then the OEM style...

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
brion b said:
Where did you get the highway pegs that you have on your engine guard?
The engine guards that I have on my VN750 are from a company called Posa. They are long out of business and the parts are nowhere to be found. I did buy a few sets of them a few years ago and kept one set in the package in case something happened to the set I'm currently using.

With the addition of the Nomad to the stable, I am looking at selling off some of the VN750 stuff that I no longer will need.

To use the Posa pegs, you will need the Fire & Steel engine guard for the VN750.

Make me an offer to [email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bulldog i have tried to email you but was unable to.I am interested in the Posa pegs Are they complete with clamps and the rubber foot pegs?

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
brion b said:
Bulldog i have tried to email you but was unable to.I am interested in the Posa pegs Are they complete with clamps and the rubber foot pegs?
They are the L clamps. I will have to look to see if I have any footpegs around. The pegs are pretty easy to come by, it is the mounts that are what is rare.

To my knowledge, these are the last set still in the package around. I'll send you a private email.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts