Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heard a rattling start yesterday after I opened her up on a straight stretch on the way home to about 90. then started hearing a rattling sound, I thought great, done tore something up, Its the plate again, lost one last year so I put a frame on it this year and it tore. this sucks! I think they make them weak on purpose!

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
i lost three before i made my own frame 16ga sheet metal covering the whole back of the plate with a strip of 1 x 1/8 flat bar around the edges 4 m8 x 1.25 bolts fender washers and locknuts. its over kill but so is a 2 1/2 hour trip to the dmv for a lost plate

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I cut a backing plate out of about 1/8" flat aluminum and used all four bolt holes. No rattle or cracking since then.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I am thinking a backing plate made from an old rubber mudflap, and attached with all 4 bolts would be sturdy and flexible.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I made rubber washers from old bicycle inter-tubes and sandwiched them between large flat washers.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
ok you all are making me feel like i am deer hunting with an rpg launcher

·
carbon unit
369 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I did away with my license plate bracket and light altogether, drilled 2 new holes in the plate to line up with 2 of the 3 holes left in the fender after removal, and bolted my plate and a thin chrome frame directly to the fender. It's on there good. There are 4 blue reflectors holding the frame to the plate, and 2 Allen bolts, nyloc nuts and washers holding the plate to the bike. Much more solid, and gets rid of one more piece of unneeded clutter. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've never had a problem with mine. I guess GA makes out plates nice and sturdy.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I just bought a nice license plate frame for 6 bucks and some reflector bolts to hold it on tight. Looks good, problem solved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been fighting the same problem on my Vulcan. The plate bracket on the back is broken on one side and was seemingly letting the plate go every other week. In the end I went to a local dealership and got a couple of the reflective license plate bolts with tensioner springs and bought some loctite. I had to fiddle with the bracket a bit as being open on one end, it had slightly deformed, but within 10 minutes I had it back together and she's held for 3 weeks or so. Those homemade brackets sound like a good idea, but there was one on the bike that I ended up taking off, the extra weight on the broken bracket was making the problem worse...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts