Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I am in the process of converting a small trailer to be dual purpose...boat and bike. I never really had or needed a trailer, but it would be nice to have the ability in case of an emergency....or to support other riders.

I have an old Sears 10' "A"frame boat trailer that I use to haul my John boat to the local lake. I recently welded new leaf springs onto it and welded in some steel cross members to it. I plan on buying a rail kit and possibly welding it or bolting it onto the trailer and still be able to load the boat right over the top of it.
It's a work in progress at the moment. Photos to come later........

I am curious what trailers you guys are using and would like to see some photos if possible.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a trailer for my 18' Nitro, but for my bike I believe: "If you see my bike on a trailer, call the police. It's being stolen." :D

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
OK...I am in the process of converting a small trailer to be dual purpose...boat and bike. I never really had or needed a trailer, but it would be nice to have the ability in case of an emergency....or to support other riders.

I have an old Sears 10' "A"frame boat trailer that I use to haul my John boat to the local lake. I recently welded new leaf springs onto it and welded in some steel cross members to it. I plan on buying a rail kit and possibly welding it or bolting it onto the trailer and still be able to load the boat right over the top of it.
It's a work in progress at the moment. Photos to come later........

I am curious what trailers you guys are using and would like to see some photos if possible.
I gotta check out your progress...

this is the one I got (you have seen it, just supporting your thread) And yeah mine is silver.... But I got E track and wheel chocks, fits my drifter and dads classic np.

http://www.performancetrailersnj.com/images/32238-AMHNH712SAE.jpg

if I can do it all over I would get an aluminum frame one, the steel frame ones are heavy as hell.

I also have some lighting issues I need to figure out, yeah, on top of everything else.

kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

Still don't know how to post a photo????:)

I had a three rail motorcycle trailer. Used it twice... Then sold it. Nice to have but it just takes up room.
is that the img src thingy?

I like having the trailer, it does take up room, but it is like a garage extension on wheels, most of the time, only used it once for the bikes, other times for ATV

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I have a 9 ft Starlite utility trailer. Pull a pin and it tilts to the ground. Given a piece of channel and 1 ft of 1 in pipe, it could be a convertible motorcycle trailer quick.

I could take pictures if you like.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've got about $950 tied up in this trailer counting the new tires and rims. It was a boat trailer with an 8 foot tongue shorten down. Pulls great. The 2x12's on the floor line on for my dune buggy and the buggies tires rest good on the bar behind the tool box. The tool box sits where the frame tapered to the tongue. Has the greaseable hubs too. Tail gate can come off in less than 3 minutes. Flat bottom boat would work good with it.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Unwelcome pic and comment deleted by author.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Im looking for a boat trailer to convert as well mainly for my quads, in ohio a regular utility trailer has to be tagged on your birthday, anytime after that you pay a late fee. boat trailers are seasonal and the late fee is waved therefore you can tag it when you need it, just like a streetbike!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for posting pics guys. I was curious what you guys were using and thought i might get inspired by some photos.

I will post up some pics of mine when it's done. I need to order the rail kit and do some slight modifications to make it complete.

Like I said...the main use is for my John boat, but having a trailer for emergencies is a comfort knowing I can go retrieve the bike should I ever get stuck on the road.

I saw a ton of trailers this weekend...seems people actually trailer their bikes to events and then ride from the hotel to the event...:doh: Not me! If I can't ride the few hundred miles to the event on my bike, then I don't need to go there.

The wife and I just drove back from the Lake George area yesterday...150 miles in the pouring rain on the bike.....and we actually enjoyed it!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I want to get LED tail and clearance lights, re-paint, and add more tie down anchors to mine. Harbor Freight sells a package of red/white reflector stickers for about $5, I grabbed some. You see them on a lot of semi-trailers.

Also want to bolt a tiedown box to the tongue, somebody swiped the good tiedowns I've had forever. I like the new ones that retract like seatbelts, they're not real long though. I broke the ones Walmart sells, got the good set at Tractor Supply.

I was shocked to see they used such cheap lights on this Leonard, no real socket, just two copper strips to make contact with the bulb.

Wib, if I find a buyer for my boat motor and figure out what to do with the hull, I'll probably be selling the Shoreland'r tilt trailer it's sitting on. I'm not that far away. It's got the big wheels so it's a good trailer for the highway. None of those teeny 8" ones that overheat the tires at 70mph. I figured the winch could be used to tilt the loaded trailer pretty easily.

edit: Wib, thought you were in Zanesville, so you're a little farther away.
+
+
+

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I let my son have my mower trailer which could have been used as a bike trailer...
I only have a 6'-3" x 44" center fold ramp that I use to load/unload my bike in the PU if needed...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I want to get LED tail and clearance lights, re-paint, and add more tie down anchors to mine. Harbor Freight sells a package of red/white reflector stickers for about $5, I grabbed some. You see them on a lot of semi-trailers.

Also want to bolt a tiedown box to the tongue, somebody swiped the good tiedowns I've had forever. I like the new ones that retract like seatbelts, they're not real long though. I broke the ones Walmart sells, got the good set at Tractor Supply.

I was shocked to see they used such cheap lights on this Leonard, no real socket, just two copper strips to make contact with the bulb.

Wib, if I find a buyer for my boat motor and figure out what to do with the hull, I'll probably be selling the Shoreland'r tilt trailer it's sitting on. I'm not that far away. It's got the big wheels so it's a good trailer for the highway. None of those teeny 8" ones that overheat the tires at 70mph. I figured the winch could be used to tilt the loaded trailer pretty easily.

edit: Wib, thought you were in Zanesville, so you're a little farther away.
+
+
+
Im in Chillicothe, which is bout 1 hr from Huntington! how much you lookin for on the trailer? got any pics and is the hull junk?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
unwanted material deleted

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with all do respect boys....let's keep this thread to posting PHOTOS of your trailers as the subject suggests. I am looking to see what you guys are towing and how you have it set up.

THANKS!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
with all do respect boys....let's keep this thread to posting PHOTOS of your trailers as the subject suggests. I am looking to see what you guys are towing and how you have it set up.

THANKS!
what are you talking about here, we were on topic discussing trailers, you had a similar post 3 posts up that was discussing trailers with no pictures of a trailer in it?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I think he's afraid I might sell a trailer in his thread. No problem, I deleted it and won't darken the door no more.

Shameless Bump

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to keep it on topic....like I said...no disrespect intended.

Here is what my boat trailer looks like.

So far I replaced the "half leaf" suspension with full leaf springs and added cross rails which are not visible in the photos.

I plan on mounting a rail/ramp kit directly to the frame to drive the bike up and onto it. The rail/ramp will stay mounted on the trailer and I will be using carpet covered wood to rest the boat above the rail. There should be enough room under the nose of the boat for the rail to angle up and "hold" the front wheel of the bike. I already added a few tie down points on the trailer to accommodate the bike. The trailer has a 200lb axle and springs. The limiting factor for weight right now is the tires at 950lbs each, but will most likely be upgraded for highway towing.

I will post photos when the project is done.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts