Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-

Many of you have already been helping me out a ton. It's amazing how much you can learn in this place so fast. For those of you that don't know, my name is Jay and I recently purchased my 1994 Vulcan750. I am going under the assumption that NO real maintenance was done with this bike until now. So generally what I am going to show you all is what I plan on purchasing tomorrow and I was hoping for a yay or nay.... and why of course.

I am trying to get as much done as I can while still working on a budget.

With safety while driving in mind first, I put this initial list together.

Here we go.

Tires

110/90-19 (62V) Shinko 230 Tour Master Front Motorcycle Tire 53.99
150/90-15 (80V) Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Motorcycle Tire 72.99

Free Shipping on Tires

Brakes

EBC Brake Pad - Organic 27.99 X 2

Final Drive Oil

Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube 11.99

Plugs

NGK (7803) DPR7EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 1 X 4 . 28.32

Wires

NGK XD05F Spark Plug Cap X 2 7.10

NGK LDO5FP Spark Plug Cap X 2 5.20

Parts Unlimited Spark Plug Wire 7mm 72inches X 4 15.80

Oil Filter

Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter 5.93

Motor Oil

Suzuki Performance 4-Cycle Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W-40 5 Liter 24.99

The tires were recommended by a fell Vulcan lover and the price is right.. Any issues?

The brakes seem fine.. Would love to save money on them if it doesn't mean im being cheap... Thoughts?

Final Drive oil.. I'm thinking the good stuff.. Not sure if its ever been done... thoughts?

Im pretty comfortable with the plugs and wires. I got that information righto out of the Verses.. Is there any benefit to going with a 8mm spark plug cable? And will I need a gapper for the plugs or are they normally pre gapped?

I did lean towards cheap motor oil and a cheap filter because I plan on changing it more often than normal to begin with so that I can get it all cleaned up.

Also- It appears sea foam is a great way to go for now? To get everything cleaned up. It appears I can get some off ebay for about 20bux...

So there you have it. I don't want to be cheap but I do want to get as much done as possible.

Also- I know I have to lube the spines and change the battery out. Those will be done next month if money works itself out.

Anything I am missing? Any thoughts on how to save a buck and still get everything accomplished?

Thanks All-

Jay

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Seaform at Wal-Mart is 9 bucks, but I found it _on sale_ at O'Reilly's Auto Parts
for $7.00.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles on the bike... My question here does it really need the brake pads?

Everything else sounds fine otherwise. I use Supertech oil filters, only 2.89 at Wal-mart.

And not a big fan of Shinko tires, but everyone that has gotten them seems happy with them.

I also noticed no mention about air filters.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Williamtech- Thanks for the heads up on the Sea Foam. I didnt have the hardware store you mentioned locally and they wont ship to me but Walmart has it. So thanks! I appreciate it!

Knifemaker- The bike has about 30k on it. I will pull the pads tomorrow before I place the order to make sure I need them. Good thought, I had just assumed. I'll take your advise on the Oil Filter and I got air filters already. The bike didn't have any installed when I purchased it, but It does now.

What brand of tire do you recommend..? Thanks!

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome. Thank you !

Jay

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
You didn't mention how many miles on the bike... My question here does it really need the brake pads?

Everything else sounds fine otherwise. I use Supertech oil filters, only 2.89 at Wal-mart.

And not a big fan of Shinko tires, but everyone that has gotten them seems happy with them.
KnifeMaker: Whats the P# Number on the Supertech Oil Filter you get from the Wal ?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Comments made in red highlights
Brakes

EBC Brake Pad - Organic 27.99 X 2

Final Drive Oil

Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube 11.99

Plugs

NGK (7803) DPR7EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 1 X 4 . 28.32

Wires

NGK XD05F Spark Plug Cap X 2 7.10

NGK LDO5FP Spark Plug Cap X 2 5.20

Parts Unlimited Spark Plug Wire 7mm 72inches X 4 15.80
You only need one 72 inch piece of spark plug wire. :)
(Actually I think 60" is enough to make all 4 wires needed for the vn750)

Oil Filter

Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter 5.93

Motor Oil

Suzuki Performance 4-Cycle Motorcycle Engine Oil 10W-40 5 Liter 24.99

The tires were recommended by a fell Vulcan lover and the price is right.. Any issues?

The brakes seem fine.. Would love to save money on them if it doesn't mean im being cheap... Thoughts?

Front brakes pads thickness specs are 4.85 mm (0.191 in)
WEAR LIMIT = 1.0 mm (0.039 in)
Estimate thickness while still mounted on bike. If it is close to the wear limit you may want to remove one set for a closer measurement.
If needed, the EBC organic pads seem to be a good choice.

Final Drive oil.. I'm thinking the good stuff.. Not sure if its ever been done... thoughts?

Mobil Synthetic is good stuff, at 30k miles your bike is due for a change, go with it. :smiley_th
Clymer manual maintenance schedule has final drive oil change listed for every 24K miles.

Im pretty comfortable with the plugs and wires. I got that information righto out of the Verses.. Is there any benefit to going with a 8mm spark plug cable? And will I need a gapper for the plugs or are they normally pre gapped?

IMHO there is no need to go to 8 mm plug cables. It just makes installing them more difficult and time consuming. The 7 mm wires are sufficient.

On the metric DPR7EIX-9 plugs, the final digit, 9, indicates the plug is pre-gapped to approximately 0.9mm (0.036 in)

However it is always a good thing to have a gapping tool to check the plugs.

I did lean towards cheap motor oil and a cheap filter because I plan on changing it more often than normal to begin with so that I can get it all cleaned up.

X2 on KM`s recommendation for Supertech filters. (#7317 I believe)
The Bosch filter is a premium filter at a premium price.
Purolator Pure One is it`s equal at a lower price, if you can find one.

If you are REALLY INTERESTED in learning about oil filters, read this link.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

Also- It appears sea foam is a great way to go for now? To get everything cleaned up. It appears I can get some off ebay for about 20bux...

So there you have it. I don't want to be cheap but I do want to get as much done as possible.

Also- I know I have to lube the spines and change the battery out. Those will be done next month if money works itself out.

Anything I am missing? Any thoughts on how to save a buck and still get everything accomplished?

Thanks All-

Jay
Hope this casts a little illumination on the topics discussed. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OlHossCanda-

Thank you for your insight and advice. I am really glad you pointed out the spark plug wire length.. That saved me another 12 bux or soooo.. Thanks. I am gonna stick with the 7mm cables.. Gonna hit WalMart today and get the supertech filter and some oil... No need to purchase that stuff online it seems. Ill get gapper just to double check the plugs while I am there. I am going to pull the brake off today and see what they look like. Hopefully I wont have to worry about that. Thank you again.

Crobins365- Thanks for the reminder. I can't find Honda Moly lube 60 or 70 online anywhere. Does anyone have a link to this stuff? I would prefer to order it online if possible.

Thanks All-

PS. Bridgetown Spitfire tires are about 20 bux more than the Shinkos. Thoughts?

THanks

Jay

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My Walmart is phasing out the Supertech filters. Wish I could still get them!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What rebate?
When you follow the link to amazon youll see this....

List Price: $15.56
Price: $5.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $9.57 (62%)
Post-purchase rebate: $3.00 Get forms <---------- LINK TO REBATE
Price after rebate: $2.99

If your not seeing it I can download the rebate and email it to you.. Never know some browsers act funny.

Thanks

Jay

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I recommend either Metzler ME880 or Pirelli Route tires, in the stock sizes, 150/90-15 rear, and 100/90-19 front. I never knew Walmart sold a ST oil filter for bikes. I use Emgo oil and air filters from denniskirk.com. I definitely recommend the EBC ORGANIC brake pads. Metallic pads will grind up the $270 apiece rotors in a hurry. I use regular Castrol 20w50 oil, and Castrol 80w90 gear oil, and change it more often. I'd rather have a crankcase full of good clean oil, than super expensive dirty oil, and I can't afford to change the super expensive stuff as often as I want. I use Guard Dog 570 moly paste on the splines, it is $50 for 8oz, including shipping, but it has to last at least 10,000 miles. It is 73% moly. But Honda Moly 50 paste should work just as well. Strange how Honda dealers don't carry it, and the other 3 Japanese manufacturers, who all make shaft drive bikes, don't sell any kind of moly paste. I am paranoid about the splines, I've heard too many horror stories. It is definitely a poor design, but Kawasaki is not the only manufacturer using it. Even BMWs chew up their splines. You would think that for what BMWs cost, their engineers could have come up with a better system.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
I found the Purolator Pure One at Kmart for $5.30 a piece and that saves money from shipping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts