Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m kicking myself for being too intimidated to take on the spline lube procedure on my own. This is mainly due to the fear of screwing something up and costing myself more cash. I took the bike to my mechanic this week to get all the fluids changed and asked him to take a look at the splines as well.
Here’s the pics he took for me. Not surprised at what they show, I have seen worse in my searches but curious to see what others think.
I guess the PO did not care enough to ever have it checked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I’m kicking myself for being too intimidated to take on the spline lube procedure on my own. This is mainly due to the fear of screwing something up and costing myself more cash. I took the bike to my mechanic this week to get all the fluids changed and asked him to take a look at the splines as well.
Here’s the pics he took for me. Not surprised at what they show, I have seen worse in my searches but curious to see what others think.
I guess the PO did not care enough to ever have it checked.
I see absence of grease and presence of rust but with these poor eyes, I don't see rust flakes or erosion of splines. Looks to me to be salvageable with cleaning and thorough moly lubrication.
With magnification I might judge otherwise.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
If it wasn't slipping yet, you should be good, close though.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Rust isn’t good, but doesn’t mean they are bad. Seen they same on other bikes, and after proper lubing, went on with no issues.
This should be a wake up call to all owners to not to put it off and check their splines if they have not already. If it’s been 5 years or more, check them again. 👍

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just another reason for me to appreciate the forum. If I hadn’t joined I would’ve never thought to have something like this checked.
I’m going to go pick the bike up later, it cost me $200 plus tax to get the oil changed, the radiator flushed and refilled, the front brakes flushed and the splines lubed. I don’t think thats too bad and it saves me the hassle of properly disposing of the spent fluids and buying the extra tools I’d need to do it all on my own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts