Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its time to replace my rear tire after approx. 5,000 miles on it. its a Pirelli route mt66. my question is why is there excessive wear on the left side of the tire? my first thought was that the driveshaft is on that side causing uneven torque, after thinking about it the axle should provide equal torque across the tire. My second thought was that a lot of roads are pitched to the right to remove rain. my third thought is that its my riding style. every time i come to a stop i put my left foot down and the uneven wear is due to the continuous leaning to that side (like the uneven wear on my boots). my fourth thought is that i only make left hand turns....(kidding). any tire guru’s out there? Im kinda puzzled.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
See fergy's post here a few days ago about tire wear patterns.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The pitch of the road will make the left of center wear more. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Or, you could just go to fergy's post and have the answer.

Sheesh!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, you could just go to fergy's post and have the answer.

Sheesh!
ok allready...... i actually found that googling before i posted. i thought i'd get some personnel insight here on the subject...my next guess was gonna' be....maby my left nut is bigger.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
ok allready...... i actually found that googling before i posted. i thought i'd get some personnel insight here on the subject...my next guess was gonna' be....maby my left nut is bigger.

thanks
Whoops! Hadn't considered that nut thing! You might be onto something. I figured it was me checking the blind spot and throwing more weight to the left as I did it. :) But that would be intermittent. The heavier left nut would be constant and could have more effect. Hmmm. Any physics majors here?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey dutter,

I put a set of the MT66's on my scoot last fall and have about 1000 miles on them and they don't seem to be showing much wear, so far. When looking into replacing my tires, I read several claims that these tires were good for around 10000 miles. Do you ride fairly agressive to maybe cause quicker tire wear? My nuts are roughly the same size so I'm hoping to get a little more even tire wear out of mine:) Just wondering if can expect 8 or 10k out of them or if I'm going to have to get new tires again next spring.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey dutter,

I put a set of the MT66's on my scoot last fall and have about 1000 miles on them and they don't seem to be showing much wear, so far. When looking into replacing my tires, I read several claims that these tires were good for around 10000 miles. Do you ride fairly agressive to maybe cause quicker tire wear? My nuts are roughly the same size so I'm hoping to get a little more even tire wear out of mine:) Just wondering if can expect 8 or 10k out of them or if I'm going to have to get new tires again next spring.
the PO is a friend of mine. he said he got a little more miles out of them then i did.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
When I first joined the forum I read a link to a motorcycle magazine column (I think), where this very topic had been researched and explained. It had little or nothing to do with the crown in the road. The short answer is, when we make a left hand turn on the road, we travel farther leaned over and accelerating harder than we do when making a normal right hand turn. This tends to scuff more rubber off the left side of the tread. This assumes that you are driving where the traffic is on the right side of the road.

If you live where traffic drives on the left side of the road, your tire wear pattern will be reversed.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
fergy said it first.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Not in my book.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts