Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You need to put the hose on the carb, apply some pressure in the hose while opening the drain.

With just air in the carb the float won't float, just hang there.

Just to clarify... There's no adjustment anyone could do to cause this problem, they would have to take the carbs apart first.
You are the man.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
You are the man.
Thanks

Just happened to think, now that the carbs are dry, you'll have to apply vacuum to the petcock to get gas flowing. So crank it quite a bit or apply vacuum to the vac line. :) You know what that means :) (didn't want to say it)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks

Just happened to think, now that the carbs are dry, you'll have to apply vacuum to the petcock to get gas flowing. So crank it quite a bit or apply vacuum to the vac line. :) You know what that means :) (didn't want to say it)
Hahaha, yup! 😮😆

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks

Well, I did both carbs again... man I'm getting good at blowing :sneaky:

Once she got warmed up and went around the block it started leaking again and bogging down at idle. Totally rideable on moderate to high speed, but once I idle or slow down for turns/lights... bog central baby. I did notice though, exactly where the leak is coming from... in between, it looks, carbs on top looks to be a sprout that almost looks like a nipple... once she gets warmed up she starts to spew out dribbles of gas which trickle down the metal arm I showed in an earlier pic. Since the bike is tilted it trickles down and towards the bikes slant.

Now, I have no idea what the wanna be nipple's job is and if something is supposed to be covering it? I'm going to assume that is the bowl overflow spout... which again points to a stuck float on one of the carbs. Here is a pic as best as I could get, from the right side of bike. At this point... it might be a stuck needle, a clogged pilot jet, or gas filled float... IDK. I'm confident in taking the carbs off, if it comes to that... which I think is approaching soon after doing the blowback method and not seeing a difference at all..

How hard a procedure is it to take the carbs off?

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
That looks like a carb vent, when the carb overfills gas comes out of the vents.

Once you get it running, need to get hoses on both vents and route them to the correct location on the air filter housings. Wind on the vents will make it bog at speed.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Try taking a regular sized screwdriver with a plastic handle and rapidly smack each carb about 20x on the side.

I've rarely had a stuck float hold me up more than five minutes using that method.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That looks like a carb vent, when the carb overfills gas comes out of the vents.

Once you get it running, need to get hoses on both vents and route them to the correct location on the air filter housings. Wind on the vents will make it bog at speed.
So there is supposed to be another hose connected to that vent leaking gas up top? I've never touched that and its always run perfect... I'm confused how that would have happened... and it already looks like the carb vent is connected and meeting with the other carb vent hose at the T section. I'll try the smacking again as well... just not sure I understand that sprout. At this point all hoses are connected to their correct places.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Ahh< I actually read a thread on this that you commented in... Now I understand. guess the PO took them off and never bothered. I never experienced a bog from that being gone... but I'll get a hose set for them. Thanks for educating me on that.

So we are back to the same issue at hand, stuck float. Tomorrow I'll try the tapping method and see if it gives. Should I do it with the bike running and see if the dripping stops?

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
You might need to pull the tank and check the four hoses, two vents and two fuel lines.

Wouldn't be the first time they got mixed up. Fuel supply on a vent will never stop flowing.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Just in case.

Viewed from the top, the fuel inlets are front and rear with elbows coming off the carbs.

The vents are the two in between the fuel hoses and have the nipples pointing straight up.

:) It's no wonder! These carbs are tits up all the time!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,303 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just in case.

Viewed from the top, the fuel inlets are front and rear with elbows coming off the carbs.

The vents are the two in between the fuel hoses and have the nipples pointing straight up.

:) It's no wonder! These carbs are tits up all the time!

Welp, looks like knocking the side of her carbs released her :sneaky: I guess I wasn't touching the right spot with the back of my tool, because now where I know where the float bowl is... I retried the spanking method... and she purrs without bogging... and most importantly... no leak. I do see a leak dripping somewhere under the crank case... but I'm assuming that is from the oil overflow vent, due to excessive gas/oil mix. I'm heading out to the auto store to get new oil and do an oil change now that this is fixed.

Thank you guys so much, I've learned a lot from this. Thanks Spockster!

·
Registered
830 Posts
The ole percussive maintenance works wonders on yet another carburetor!

Glad she's running

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
You're welcome, glad I could help with the foreplay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You're welcome, glad I could help with the foreplay.
HAHA, a lesson for life. One last thing, her right petcock nipple is leaking at the top of the hose here in this pic... Is this common... did I goof the paper clip fastener when taking it off? could something be semi blocking the hose? If the answer is just replacing the paperclip clamp/fastener with one that isn't bent in the slightest... how do I get it on the hose without bending it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
HAHA, a lesson for life. One last thing, her right petcock nipple is leaking at the top of the hose here in this pic... Is this common... did I goof the paper clip fastener when taking it off? could something be semi blocking the hose? If the answer is just replacing the paperclip clamp/fastener with one that isn't bent in the slightest... how do I get it on the hose without bending it?
Don't mess with the wire hose clamps.
Pull the hoses on and off with a pair of long needle nose pliers without touching the clamps.
If you have already bent one out of shape, remove the hose, slide the clamp off and then reshape it or get a new one.
Slide the reshaped or new one onto the hose to the correct location, then pinch the hose about an inch or more from the end with needle nose pliers and push the hose onto the nipple without touching the spring clamp. Then never touch the clamp again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Don't mess with the wire hose clamps.
Pull the hoses on and off with a pair of long needle nose pliers without touching the clamps.
If you have already bent one out of shape, remove the hose, slide the clamp off and then reshape it or get a new one.
Slide the reshaped or new one onto the hose to the correct location, then pinch the hose about an inch or more from the end with needle nose pliers and push the hose onto the nipple without touching the spring clamp. Then never touch the clamp again.
Roger that!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't even run a clamp on my fuel lines, they just friction fit onto the outlets on the petcock. Your fuel lines may have an Inner Diameter (I.D.) that is a little too big for the application.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I don't have any clamps on mine either. The hoses should fit tight enough on their own, it looks like that one is too large. Just the outside diameter looks large in the pic, or the rubber has become spongy.

Time for new hose, or those blue pills.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts