Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to brightenup my brake/tail light, "for safety" and have not found any that work real good most are directional and do not fill the lens with full light. Anyone found a good Super bright one that will work?

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Short answer-no.
I have been looking at modifying a semi LED taillight to fit. Haven't started that one yet.

·
2,502 Posts
I haven't gotten one yet, but I hear these work well. Click here Then scroll down till you see the LED board for the VN750.

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
I will 2nd the bright as heck reference. I have one and it lights it up. Looks like Rudolph turned around backwards on a foggy Christmas Eve! LOL

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I've got the same clear alternatives LED board for my tail/break light. It is much brighter than the original and uses much less power. I also added an LED license plate cover which lights up when the brakes are applied. Together they're as bright as anything can possibly be.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
At a minimum, get the "Clear Alternatives" tail light LED board.

A number of forum members here already have it, and we're all tickled to death with it.

You won't be sorry.

If you do have problems with it, knowledgeable help is here on the forum--as well as a number of threads have been written here, addressing questions about that same LED board.

To really stand out from other traffic, I supplemented my tail lamp with LED strips located closer to cager eye level--from Radiantz. They make pretty good red LED strips, for this purpose.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if youre crafty with electronic boards and soldering, you can make your own for probably half the price. Get on ebay, order like 150 red led bulbs, go to radio shack and get a pcb board big enough and a handful of the correct resistors.'
I plan on eventually making my own, when i do i'll post pictures and what not. Currently I do not have the time to make one. I also want to make LED turn signals and have the rears be running lights.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'll attest to the Clear Alternatives L.E.D. Board. They had to fix my first one but 2 years ago they were brand new and most of us were the first buyers. Some had issues. I haven't heard any complaints in a Long time. Though for added satey (mostly at night) I added some modified hitch mount led brake lights from harbour freight. Ok in the day & Great at night. ohio redneck75 has seen them. I've never really posted picks on them so I don't have anything handy to add here. Sorry.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If you look at my photos in the gallery there is picts of stock and LED from Clear Alternative.
Great product.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I used three 3.85" Radiantz dual-intensity red clusters in the existing brake lens, yellow in all turn signals and made a second brake light using a standar trailer lens and the same clusters used in the existing brake lens. I mounted the second brake light on the back of the sissy bar, above the tool box and it is wired to active with the brake only (no running light). Everyone who rides behind me comments that the the brake lights are super bright and that the second brake light really gets their attention.

I got the clusters off eBay for $3/piece (plus $5 shipping for the bunch) and the trailer light for about $4 at an RV parts store.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Holy cow is that bright!

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I'll attest to the Clear Alternatives L.E.D. Board. They had to fix my first one but 2 years ago they were brand new and most of us were the first buyers. Some had issues. I haven't heard any complaints in a Long time. Though for added satey (mostly at night) I added some modified hitch mount led brake lights from harbour freight. Ok in the day & Great at night. ohio redneck75 has seen them. I've never really posted picks on them so I don't have anything handy to add here. Sorry.
Hey Kanuck...you said you used some "modified hitch mount led brake lights from harbour freight. Ok in the day & Great at night."
I was thinking of using that same LED hitch mount, because it's $10 and almost ready to go, but was curious how it is compared to the clear alternatives...Is the clear alternatives brighter? and is it that significant of a difference?

·
Registered
736 Posts
How many Leds in each cluster?
48 individual LEDs per cluster. Here's the manufacture site URL. They list for $21+/piece, but they occationally run eBay listings for $3/piece. These are probably factory seconds or returns, but they were in a sealed package and came with a warranty. Two years running now and no issues so far.

The one thing I've noticed using LEDs is that the light is very directional. I have the LEDs mounted against the forward face of the brake/turn signal lens. The light is very bright when viewed from the front or back. However, the light does not 'fill' the entire brake/turn signal lens cavity, like the stock bulbs did. Viewed from the side the light appears as an intense line along the edge of the lens. Still just as visible though, just not as wide as the stock bulbs.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Hey Kanuck...you said you used some "modified hitch mount led brake lights from harbour freight. Ok in the day & Great at night."
I was thinking of using that same LED hitch mount, because it's $10 and almost ready to go, but was curious how it is compared to the clear alternatives...Is the clear alternatives brighter? and is it that significant of a difference?

Wait for iot to go on sale. Usually goes on sale for about $5 As far as the brightness, it's not as bright but to be fair it has about 1/3 the led's. If not less. I'll have to add a pic later.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Wait for iot to go on sale. Usually goes on sale for about $5 As far as the brightness, it's not as bright but to be fair it has about 1/3 the led's. If not less. I'll have to add a pic later.
thanks!:beerchug:
I was looking at this one, and it has 28 led's...I think the square one is only 12 led's.

I'm definately considering it for the next project (over winter)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts