Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Vulcan riders!

A while back I bought a set of side covers from a fellow VN750.com forum member. The covers are off a 1989 or older bike, and mine is a 2001. They fit just fine. Nothing is wrong with my original set, but I wanted a second set of side covers for a special project.

Many people put colored LED lights in various places on there bike, and I figured, why not do something a little different with the side covers.

I imagined having the word VULCAN glow on the side covers. Not just have a glow behind the side covers but actually have it glow VULCAN.

Check out my mod here at my site
http://www.gcextreme.com/Vulcan750/Sidecovers/index.html

Attached is a preview.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
GC, that is one cool mod and very original...at least I've never seen it done before. It never ceases to amaze me how creative some of you guys are. Looking forward to seeing the finished mod.

John

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GC, that is one cool mod and very original...at least I've never seen it done before. It never ceases to amaze me how creative some of you guys are. Looking forward to seeing the finished mod.

John
Thanks John.
A co-worker of mine, Dennis, who rides a sweet Triumph Rocket III, and is a big bike buff, said the same thing, that it's original, and he's never seen anything like it before and says he can't wait to see it too.

Right now I am still putting on clear coats and wet sanding in-between coats. Then later I am going to mask it off and cut out the tape in the vulcan cutouts and then glue the lexan on the back and then fill the front with the 2part clear epoxy, then when its dry sand it smooth and clear coat it more.

Should be all done by wednesday or thursday. Gotta take my time and make it look nice, lol.

Peace.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Side lights

Lookin' pretty darn cool!

What did you use to cut through the covers?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
wow.. way cool i think!
you must have a steady hand with the Dremel tool... i think i'd have made numerous unwanted cuts trying to cut those letters.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lookin' pretty darn cool!

What did you use to cut through the covers?
wow.. way cool i think!
you must have a steady hand with the Dremel tool... i think i'd have made numerous unwanted cuts trying to cut those letters.
LOL electrum got it dead on, I used a dremel tool. It sucked, and no i dont have that steady of a hand. If you look closely at the two covers, you can tell they aren't perfect. Had to be careful with the "a" had to make it like a stencil to leave the mid part of the 'a' in. Also the "l" sucked on one of them, believe me both side covers have their flaws, but one i think is better than the other, lol, the second one i did i think came out better.
But at a distance, when lit up, i don't think you will notice it much.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Very nice! Lots of work, but very nice!

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok an update.

I used a 5-minute epoxy (clear), and some special blue masking painters tape.
I taped up the front side of the cover, and flipped it over, and began to fill the cutout with the clear epoxy, using a putty knife to spread it evenly the best i could.
After about 5 minutes, the epoxy wasn't yet too hard, so i slowly removed the tap from the front, only in the area of the cut out though.
Had to be careful not to pull the epoxy out with the tape, wasn't too difficult though.
Now there were some un-even spots and some holes on this front side, so with a small putty knife i dripped and put some more on top and spread it nicely and gently.
Next i let it harden more, so it would be sandable. I untaped the rest of the side cover, now it's been painted black with many layers of clear coat already. So using fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, i did more wet sanding over the whole cover and focused on the epoxy are the most. Next i washed it, and let it dry, then put on more clear coat. Right now she is shinning bright and looking good. The front areas isnt as smooth as i would like, you can feel the epoxy, i didnt want to sand it too much and screw it up.
Attached is a pic. So far i have only done one sidecover. Wanted to make sure this one came out right, so i know what to do for the other one.
Also i dont think i will need the lexan in the back of the cover, maybe i should still put it in to reinforce the epoxy tho.

Peace

Peace

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
pretty doggone sweet and you get extra points for creativity:notworthy

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I was thinking of doing something similar on the ears, not lights but knock out the black plastic and replace with a design of my own!

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
That is a really awesome looking mod. That is something I know I never would have thought of doing. Have you ever thought of doing something like that for other bikes as well? Basically something to make some money off of. I do like the way it looks.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a really awesome looking mod. That is something I know I never would have thought of doing. Have you ever thought of doing something like that for other bikes as well? Basically something to make some money off of. I do like the way it looks.

I would but its not cheap and takes alot of work.
If someone woukd buy the led strips, get the battery holder and 9v batteries with the clip on power wire conector pig tail, and maybe the paint and clear coat, then I would just need to buy the right expoxy..
But my fear would be screwing it up...I goofed up and ruined one set of side covers..lol

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
This is really cool! You could take this a step further and have it run off the battery using computer cold-cathode tubes which run off a 12V source. This would eliminate the need for 9V batteries. When it comes to PC lighting, there are a lot of options which run from a 12V source.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is really cool! You could take this a step further and have it run off the battery using computer cold-cathode tubes which run off a 12V source. This would eliminate the need for 9V batteries. When it comes to PC lighting, there are a lot of options which run from a 12V source.
Yes but I didnt want it to run off the bike battery...I wanted it to be a self contained unit...that way I can easily take them on/off the bike and put my stock ones back on without dealing with wires....and the 9v runs them for at least 6 hours straight..thats the longest I had them turned on at our bike show...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts