Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a discussion with a few of the other members today about relocating the Voltage Regulator, and replacing with a Mosfet, (Chip) a few other conversations had been on my mind including getting more voltage from the stator, keeping the Regulator cool by "degoating", and replacing the incandescent bulconversation, so that we can get more electrical capacity from the machines.

So in an attemp to keep the information organized in some way here's a link to a website that sells the LED equipment; as well as a link to the original conversation for anyone that found this helpful.

http://www.breyn.com/vn750/ledtaillights.htm

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179363#post179363

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
I was having a discussion with a few of the other members today about relocating the Voltage Regulator, and replacing with a Mosfet, (Chip) a few other conversations had been on my mind including getting more voltage from the stator, keeping the Regulator cool by "degoating", and replacing the incandescent bulconversation, so that we can get more electrical capacity from the machines.

So in an attemp to keep the information organized in some way here's a link to a website that sells the LED equipment; as well as a link to the original conversation for anyone that found this helpful.

http://www.breyn.com/vn750/ledtaillights.htm

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179363#post179363
sorry, but I didn't see the kit for our bike.

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok so what I see here is that these were once made by a company called Clear Alternatives which no longer exists but their stock is all over the web still. The 750 takes a 1157 there are several options try to find one for under $60 Dollars that's an exact match or buy one with the same bulb size, pray it fits or try to make your own. Which if you google should turn up a result, with a how to.

& from what I've read these glow red last for over 100,000 hours and are really quite bright.
Most of the company's still offer the board and a new lense in clear or smoke.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the 1100 Sereis LEDs suck... get teh board for the VN1500 88... and then get a VN1500 88 tail light assembly... you will be a lot happier, also for your dash lights.. make a new back plate and go to Radio Shack and pick up some LEDs a lot cheaper to make your own, then put in the replacement LEDs...plus using the replacement LEDs isn't andy better than using the stock type bub.. ohh and one more thing.. you have to run an electronic turnsignal flashing unit instead of the thermal one that comes stock on the vn750.

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks Slim it means a lot.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
For the Clear Alternatives Vulcan 750 tail light led board, go to www.motolume.com They are now selling the tail light replacement board. I have this board installed on my bike with a clear taillight lens. I am very happy with it. It has never given me any trouble in the 1.5 + years that I have had it installed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
http://stores.motolume.com/-strse-358/86-dsh-05-VULCAN-750-ELIMINATOR/Detail.bok?category= is the direct link to the LED taillight board. It's now using "PCB-0046-L" as a part number instead of "LED-46-L". I didn't see it in their menu, only when I searched for "Vulcan" and dug through the results.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16474 has some videos of my CA taillight. I haven't had mine as long as Bret, but my buddy described it as "bright as s#!t" and it's given me no problems whatsoever.

As Slim said, you'll need an electronic "no-load" flasher for LED turn signals (the old thermal ones interpret the lower load of an LED as a burned out bulb). You don't need to do anything with the flasher just to change out the taillight though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks for this info!!!! Can you share where you got the LED turn signals?

Also - where do I get one of the flashers and are they difficult to install?

Thanks again

Jeff

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
You can get all of those from ebay if you want. just search led turnsignals. then search led flasher. Its just a matter of finding a style you like. Or you can just replace with leds in the stock housing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks Angell and Slim.

Out of curiosity (with the turn signals) do you hear that more people use the original housings and replace the bulbs with LED bulbs? Or do more simply get new LED Housings altogether?

Like I said - Just curious

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
me personally, i went with new LED signals, the ones that plug in like light bulbs use the same load as a normal light bulb... but if you go with a whole new unit, then the load is reduced from the system.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
X2 I agree with slim get the new unit.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cool - thanks again to both

now - beating a dead horse - do you guys recommend a particular vendor or part number? I'm a bit premature here since I have really just started looking and so far found one guy on ebay selling them

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
me personally, i went with new LED signals, the ones that plug in like light bulbs use the same load as a normal light bulb... but if you go with a whole new unit, then the load is reduced from the system.
I beg to differ. The bulbs I've been looking at show a usage of 180ma. That's .18amps. Which is much less than a conventional bulb. Perhaps you looked at ones that had the load resistor built in?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
The draw is a lot less with barrel type replacement LED's. A good site where I bought mine is www.superbrightleds.com and I think the prices are reasonable from what I've seen. Got them quick too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thanks for the info - again.

I read on one of the sites about getting some sort of diode kit for the turn signal indicators if going LED. Is that really necessary? If so - why?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
You don't want to use the load equalizer (diode kit). It basically equals out to having a standard buld & at that point you have no gain. Using the right led rated relay (activates with less current) you utillize the less draw on the electrical system. Which was the whole point of going to led in the first place.

Here's a link to the very same discussion I had earlier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts