Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Vulcan 750, with stock lights. I wish to replace my blinkers and tail light with LEDs.
First, can i just buy led bulbs to put in, or do i have to completely replace the whole blinker/tail light assemblies?
If you can point me in the right direction for nice LEDs that will work i appreciate it.

Also, i am going to want to relocate my rear blinkers, to make room for saddlebags. Will the current wiring reach? or will i have to re-wire it.
If anyone can point me to some directions or pics of how they relocated theirs, that would be great.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have an 01 Vulcan 750, with stock lights. I wish to replace my blinkers and tail light with LEDs.
First, can i just buy led bulbs to put in, or do i have to completely replace the whole blinker/tail light assemblies?
If you can point me in the right direction for nice LEDs that will work i appreciate it.

Also, i am going to want to relocate my rear blinkers, to make room for saddlebags. Will the current wiring reach? or will i have to re-wire it.
If anyone can point me to some directions or pics of how they relocated theirs, that would be great.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before.

Thanks
I picked up some amber Marker lights with chrome trim at the automotive and mounted them on my bags and extended the wiring, think you can find them in truck stops with the shiny truck stuff also. If you want to look at mine they are in the album on my profile called various pics,I think.And you can buy 1157 repacement leds for your stock taillight housing from Dennis Kirk

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, if i get hard bags, i might mount them to the back of the bags like that.
For now i dont have bags, and just want to get LEDs. I like your paint and your exhaust, nice job.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
The F&S tail light relocation bracket/saddlebag supports comes with wire extensions. Think it sells for around $125-145. Sometimes you can find them cheaper on ebay. Lance sells a similar setup; contact him if you are interested. As far as extending the wiring goes, all you would need to do is put the appropriate size bullet connectors on the right length of wire and plug and play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also check out clearalternatives.com for the tail light. I have it and several others on the forum do also. I am very pleased with it. You can search the forum for additional information / opinions.

Code: LED-46-L
Price: $49.95
Shipping Weight: 0.50 pounds

·
Registered
736 Posts
There are lots of folks on the forum who have converted to LED blinkers and brake/running lights. Some used direct replacement LED bulbs, some LED panels (like the well regarded clearalternatives.com brake/running panel) and other fabricated custom inserts (I made mine using Radiantz 1.85" LED Dual-Intensity Clusters). The good thing about LEDs is there are newer, brighter and less expensive ones appearing every day. The bad side of that is reviews and real life experiences can't keep up with all the new products. So, you'll have to decide how much effort you want to invest in picking the best option of brightness, cost and installation. One thing is for sure though - you'll need to replace the thermal OEM flasher unit with a no-load electronic unit (about $12) for LED blinkers.

I would suggest searching this forum first, then WebBikeWorld.com for ideas. Also, truck and RV supply shops will have lots of LEDs (if you have one local).

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
My limited experience with LED lighting was to buy some 1157 and 1156 LED replacement bulbs for pretty cheap. Each bulb was actually 36 LED's pointing in various directions. I think I bought them from www.ledshoppe.com but you see them all over the net. I bought some white ones and some red ones because the theory is the red ones will let more light get through the red brake lens.

The bottom line of the experiment was that the reflectors in the light compartments are built for incandescent bulbs and work very well to direct their light. The reflectors don't do much for the LED bulbs.

Here's a photo.

All photos are with the brakes ON.

The first shot on the left is RED LED vs. WHITE LED bulbs. Red does let more light get through.

The second shot on the right is RED LED vs. standard incandescent bulb.

Standards win.

I did the same test with the blinkers and running lights. Same results. You can't just replace the standard bulbs with LED bulbs and get brighter lights on the cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My limited experience with LED lighting was to buy some 1157 and 1156 LED replacement bulbs for pretty cheap. Each bulb was actually 36 LED's pointing in various directions. I think I bought them from www.ledshoppe.com but you see them all over the net. I bought some white ones and some red ones because the theory is the red ones will let more light get through the red brake lens.

The bottom line of the experiment was that the reflectors in the light compartments are built for incandescent bulbs and work very well to direct their light. The reflectors don't do much for the LED bulbs.

Here's a photo.

All photos are with the brakes ON.

The first shot on the left is RED LED vs. WHITE LED bulbs. Red does let more light get through.

The second shot on the right is RED LED vs. standard incandescent bulb.

Standards win.

I did the same test with the blinkers and running lights. Same results. You can't just replace the standard bulbs with LED bulbs and get brighter lights on the cheap.
That is quite interesting,I run an led 1157 replacement mostly because I run an aftermarket taillight with one bulb and the incandescent failed once and I had no light. I got the led for it's durability and red was the only one available at the time and i was gong to switch to clear,now I will keep what I've got,thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts