Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone hope you are all having a good Sunday!

How does having a lower power consumption wears down on the charging systerm of the Bike? Would it put more load on the R/R since it has to disperce more energy that is not being used?

Where can I get a flasher that is LED friendly for my turn signals?

Thanks in advance

Andre

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I think THIS FLASHER UNIT is a direct replacement for our bikes, for LED turn signal conversions. Just ditch the wiring harness that comes with it as it isn't needed. You can read a little about it in THIS PRIOR POST.

And does lowering the electrical consumption by using LEDs increase the load on the R/R? I think it might, meaning you're probably correct. But it does allow for more wiggle room when adding other electrical components to your bike, such as heated grips or a cell phone charger or GPS, etc. You may want to read this technical article on HOW A MOTORCYCLE CHARGING SYSTEM WORKS. It's interesting.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
I really do not see advantage to using LED replacemnet lights for brakes, turnsignals or running lights unless you plan on adding somthing that needs significant power like driving lights or heated accessories.

LED's are not really that much better than the stock lights as far as brightness, their only good use is in lasting forever and using less power.

Cell phone chargers and GPS units use very little wattage, the Vulcan has about 70w of power to spare, so if you do not plan on adding extras that use some juice, it really is cheaper just to stick with the stock incandesent bulbs.

Now, as an aside from the above...if you wish to complement your existing lights by adding LED lights, this makes perfect sence. Keeping the stock brake and tail lights but adding exta LED's to the rear on top of the stock units is in my view the way to go.

You are absolutely correct that replacing the stock bulbs with LED's will in fact cause the R/R to ground out MORE power needlessly and may in fact cause premature failures.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Everyone hope you are all having a good Sunday!

How does having a lower power consumption wears down on the charging system of the Bike? Would it put more load on the R/R since it has to disperse more energy that is not being used?

Where can I get a flasher that is LED friendly for my turn signals?

Thanks in advance

Andre
I can't answer the R/R load/dispersion issue, that's one for the quantified engineers of the forum. I upgraded to LEDs (Radiantz clusters) for the safety (brighter than stock bulbs) and lower power requirements, which I augmented with heated grips (love, love, love heated grips!).

I've had nothing but rave reviews on the brightness of the LED replacements (brighter than stock bulbs) and I also added a second brake light on the sissy bar for safety (everyone comments on it). Note that side viewing of LEDs in VN750 lenses is an issue, but I ride primarily in daytime, so not an issue for me (wish I could ride more).

Your local auto parts or trailer parts store will "no load" LED compatible flasher for $10+. My local NAPA had one for $12 (but they were out of stock, bought one on eBay).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Fortunatly I do not need heated grips I am a thinned blood kid from Miami, Fl but the GPS, would be a cool thing to add once I get a windshield, but that is something to keep it in mind, I have hear this maybe the albino Elephant there are some companies that make LED with a built in load resistors and there are some out that consume up to 3watt so if you go around the bike with it your looking for almost 15 watts...

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
Also from what I understand, it you need a different flash unit if you replace the turnsignals with LEDs, as the low power they use is not enough to work with the stock unit. I think that perhaps that is the reason some have "load resistors" but as mentioned, you might want to find out from someone more electonicaly gifted.

KM

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
To throw my 2 cents in for all it's worth, I replaced my brake/tail light with the led unit from Clear Alternatives and it seems much brighter than the 2 bulbs that were in there. The bulbs on high filament (brake) suck up a lot of wattage. I also replaced the license bulb with a cheap led from eBay. I was going to do the flashers but they are not on for a very long time and the markers don't draw that much so I felt it wasn't worth the effort. Like I said, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The tail / brake conversion is a good idea because 1- The tail bulbs are on constantly and are not that visible in the daylight. LED's tend to improve daylight visibility as well as night. 2- The brake bulbs suck up 54 watts of power when on. That's enough to draw down the lights at a long stoplight on a hill in my area. I can hold on the brakes as long as I want with my LED replacements w/o worry.

With the extra wattage saved, a brighter headlight may be a good way to balance the load to preserve the R/R.

DT

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
LED lights. Everybody on every motorcycle forum I have ever belong to has ask about LED lights at some point. I don't get it. I have never used LED lights, and see no reason to. New bikes, and cars, are coming with LED lights, but they are not simple replacement bulbs for existing type sockets. In many cases, an entire light assembly will have to be replaced if the LED crap goes bad. So instead of replacing a $2 bulb, you have to replace a $200 light, as they are sealed units, and cannot be repaired.

If you really want LED lights for tail lights and turn signals, you can get most of the common old style 1156 and 1157 bulbs in an LED version, that already have a built in resistor, so they work with the stock turn signal flasher. As for me, I like plain old incandescent bulbs. Cheap, easy to replace, work fine, have been working fine for over 100 years, don't see any reason to change. Yes, I'm an old guy. Jerry.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for putting in your 2,4,10 cents into this conversation I live in Miami, where is hot as hell; therefore, I do not need the grip warmers, but my cooling fan does come on alittle more often than to some of you up in the North sometime even on a steady 35 mph drive the van kicks on that might be a way to save some or load more power on the RR. Will do some more internal thinking ... right now I really need to get a MF battery!

·
Now what
400 Posts
I like the Clear Alternatives brake module because it consumes less current which draws down the battery slower, when at a stop, which is when the brake light is on and the bike is running off the battery. Usually, it's also when my fan comes on in the spring/summer/fall. That's a real power sucker. Be careful selecting LED turn signal replacements. A lot of them aren't any brighter (sometimes less bright) than the stock. If you find a good set, you'll need a turn signal unit that is electronic in nature. I mean a device that uses a timer chip to turn the lights on and off rather than using some sort of resistive element (like an in-line resistor) that sucks power and negates one benefit of the led, lower power consumption. I haven't gotten into the led turn lamps much because I feel the stock ones are fine. Bright enough and their power consumption doesn't bother me, even though I can see the voltage drop each time they flash. I believe a good led turn signal set up would be kind of pricey too.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
While lower power demands might add load to the R/R, it's not going to matter in the case of lights. During most riding, few lights are actually ON. An LED or incandescent that aren't activated will load the R/R equally (so to speak) by their absence.

The only lights guaranteed to be on all the time are the headlight, front markers, and taillight. Since nobody much replaces the headlights with LEDs, the only difference for 97% of your ride would be the running lights - not a huge total change between LED/incandescent.

Unless my logic is flawed, I don't see the R/R load effect on a stock bike's lights as significant enough to worry about. Saving total draw on the system is where it's at.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
How about this puppy for your rear turn signals? 55 watts of pure blinking poWEr.

DT ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
How about this puppy for your rear turn signals? 55 watts of pure blinking poWEr.

DT ;-)
Wow! Bet that thing would melt the signal lenses!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well after Ifinelly got my bike running again I decide, that I am going with a LED Break light and front runing lights battery was low on juice since my fan had to be riggged to run on all the time, there was a short in my junction box and ther relay for the fan had to be inactivated!!! :(
see where I can save son juice!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would fix the fan problem. If it runs all the time it will wear out a lot faster, and I assume you haven't checked to see what a new one costs. Jerry.

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
I'm not one to rush out an replace everything with LED's either there Jerry.

But what I would like is to have a big bank of LED's over my tail light that not only works with the stock light, but is wired to a control box on my handlebar that causes the LED bank to display usefull messeges for those behind me. Stuff like:

Get off My Ass.

Turn your turn
signal off.

Your tire is
going flat

The FAST lane
is for fast cars
pinhead

You almost
hit me with
your F**King
Ciggerete Butt

If you hit your
horn one more
time you will get
to see how well
I can shoot a
pistol with my
left hand over
my shoulder

Turn your
brights off
dikhead

Put the
Cell Phone
Down and
Pay attention

Now that would be a good use for LED's..........

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Come on now KM, don`t hold it back. Tell us what you really want to say!! ROFL

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Now THAT'S using technology for progress, KM!! LMAO. If you decide to make one (as founder of the KM LED Sign Company) I'll give you your first order!!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I want one too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts