Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do ya think?
Here's what I did. I bought a Metal License plate frame and cut it so the new light would fit hanging over the plate. They fit snug (The plate and light) and sit well behind the metal frame, like normal. With everything bolted together, Frame, (Plate, Light Combined), Existing Mounting Bracket. Here's what you get. $23.00 and some time.

Thats it!:pepper:

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Great mod.

It looks like there may be enough room to mount it upside down resulting in the plate being near the tail light. If it would fit/work that would cover up the old light mount. Would have to see how it looks.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Certainly cleans up the look of the rear fender.
Looks good :smiley_th

·
Registered
108 Posts
It came out real nice. Good job.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Very Nice!

I was wondering- is there not a pop in replacement LED bulb for our existing license plate bulbs? Is that why you had to do the modification? I know an LED bulb will not give the illumination of the panel that you have.

But, I like having more illumination on my backside in the dark!

Thanks!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st. I did it to clean up the look of the rear. I never really liked that big nipple at the end of my fender. 2nd. I'm sorry for the bad pic. I'll try to replace it with a better one. I snapped it quickly, not setting my camera right. It is brighter than what you think. It lights up the road behind me!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
What light did ya use?

I need to get a light back there - I removed the old license plate light and mounted the bottom of the plate to where the top used to be (so the plate isnt sitting below the fender) - cleans up the look but alas, I'm not legal at night since I couldn't find a suitable light - what you did just might be the ticket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
does someone have a pic with the plate turned upwards. Contipating doing the mod but would like to know what direction I am headed b4 I start.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
does someone have a pic with the plate turned upwards. Contipating doing the mod but would like to know what direction I am headed b4 I start.
Hey, I'll post a pic later, but good Idea on the upward thing. I've been contemplating it for a while & this morning I did. Instead of mounting the top of the plate simply mount the bottom. But what about the bracket holding the light? I glued it to the back of my license plate. Kinda had to, I rolled back just enough to bump my jeep & broke the tabs holding on the light. I wish it was metal.

P.S. I know it's dirty. That's what happens when you do 120 miles a day!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,769 Posts
i think that looks way better! is that a LED light? i maybe doing some mod's on my bike and this looks like a good one to start with!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
How about this?

The advantage is it puts the plate over the fender so that it won't get as much grime from road crap and prevents oneself from breaking the frame and plate like I used to when putting the bike in a tight corner of the garage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts