Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I finally decided to update my turn signals to LED. It’s been over a year since I updated the headlight and tail lights. I actually just bought another set of brake bulbs that strobe for a few seconds before going solid and I’m happy with them. So back to the turn signals. I have the right bulbs for both front and rear but the relay I bought is either DOA or it’s just not the right part. I know this topic has been discussed but all my searches have pulled up info from the 2005 to 2008 time frame and maybe there’s some new info I’m missing. So long story short I’m just looking for the right electronic flasher. I thought I read previously that it’s an EP34 equivalent. That’s what I got but again, not sure if that’s right. Any help would be appreciated.
Here’s the stock and the replacement I got.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
EP34 is correct, not sure about that new one you have.

What happens if you put the stock flasher in?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I switch out the 1157s only and leave the rear OEM bulbs in then it works fine. If I swap all 4 with LED then the stock relay buzzes. If I put the new relay in with any combination it acts as if the circuit is open and I get nothing.
CF13 is supposed to be the same as EP34, this is why I’m stumped.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Defective new flasher? If the cf13 is supposed to be LED compatible, it should work. Should be able to ohm test the terminals to see if it's open.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I can do that for sanity, so much for “plug n play”. Curious what others have used.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I just figured this out, I’ve been doing some more searching (which I should’ve done before I bought this) but there’s two types of CF13 relays evidently, a “JL-02”, and “GL-02”. Searches for “EP34 LED flasher relay” on both eBay and Amazon come back with the JL-02. I got this one from superbrightleds.com and on second look the JL-02 isn’t available from them until 10/30/2020. So looks like I got the wrong one possibly.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My suspicion was correct, I got my hands on the CF13- JL-02 and it works. The only odd thing I noticed is at idle the blink rate is not perfectly consistent. I thought it evened out with the rpms but I didn’t want to rev it too loudly in front of the houses.
Take a look

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Looks like it blinks four times then does a sort of reset.

But it's blinkin' ! :)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha yes it’s blinking. Looks like it’s got a heart murmur.
Just for the hell of it, I did another look up on the two relays and found that the “JL” is standard for Japanese vehicles and the “GL” is for European vehicles. Oddly didn’t find a US standard in the CF13 format.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts