Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LED lighting kit installed on my bike that lights up the engine, tires, and road, so I wanted to reduce the load on the battery by changing out the bulbs to LEDs. I ended up buying some LEDs that I considered to be the most reasonably priced for the brightness level. The LEDs I got are rated at 800 lumens, 15-16 watts, and are around $7-$11 for a pair. Other brighter LEDs go for much higher for just one bulb.

I bought two red colored 1157, two amber colored 1157, and two amber colored 1156. All rated at 800 lumens.

I did a side by side comparison of the new LEDs and the stock bulbs and here are the results. The pictures were taken with my iPhone so the actual brightness looks different in real life, but it still gets the idea across.

LED is on the right side of the picture and stock bulb is to the left.
On the turn signal, the LEDs are brighter, however on the brake light the stock are brighter. It has something to do with the color of the LED and the lens filtering. I'm wondering if it would be better to put in white LEDs in the brake instead of red.

I measured the voltage at the battery with the key in the on position (without engine running). Unfortunately I did this after installing the rear signal LED. I did not want to remove them again because I broke the LED base during installation and had to solder the wires back in place.

Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on rear signals :12.22 v
Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on rear & front turn signals: 12.27 v
Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on turn signals & brake lights: 12.32 v

Attachments

Reactions: RoadHopper

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
What bulbs are you installing?

Stock turn signal bulbs are only 8 Watts....you are using LED bulbs at 15-16 Watts?

You are actually using more power and not reducing consumption if I am reading this right

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a LED lighting kit installed on my bike that lights up the engine, tires, and road, so I wanted to reduce the load on the battery by changing out the bulbs to LEDs. I ended up buying some LEDs that I considered to be the most reasonably priced for the brightness level. The LEDs I got are rated at 800 lumens, 15-16 watts, and are around $7-$11 for a pair. Other brighter LEDs go for much higher for just one bulb.

I bought two red colored 1157, two amber colored 1157, and two amber colored 1156. All rated at 800 lumens.

I did a side by side comparison of the new LEDs and the stock bulbs and here are the results. The pictures were taken with my iPhone so the actual brightness looks different in real life, but it still gets the idea across.

LED is on the right side of the picture and stock bulb is to the left.
On the turn signal, the LEDs are brighter, however on the brake light the stock are brighter. It has something to do with the color of the LED and the lens filtering. I'm wondering if it would be better to put in white LEDs in the brake instead of red.

I measured the voltage at the battery with the key in the on position (without engine running). Unfortunately I did this after installing the rear signal LED. I did not want to remove them again because I broke the LED base during installation and had to solder the wires back in place.

Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on rear signals :12.22 v
Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on rear & front turn signals: 12.27 v
Voltage @ battery w/ LEDs on turn signals & brake lights: 12.32 v

Incandescent lamps put out "white" light... which is more like a range of all sorts of colors, like random noise... ever heard of white noise? So filters work on incandescent lights by refusing to allow some of the colors through... what you have left... is just the red light flowing through the red plastic... so... that's one...

but...

LED's do not put out white light. They put out a specific frequency only. It could look white to a human eye, but is actually a bright blue, or a bright yellow, etc... LED lights are like single notes on the piano scale compared to white noise which is like pressing all of the keys at the same time.

So a filter is going to simply attenuate an LED... if that LED has no red in it to begin with, it's just going to block it out. So... a RED LED is better in a RED filter, but... the filter doesn't block it out actually... it allows it through.

Now keep that in mind, but also... filters are not perfect either. They are simply tinted plastic. If it were a true "filter" of light, it would be polarized, like sun-glasses. If you'd like to read up on the topic, try here... Articles, reviews, news, promotions, tips

Hope this helps and i stand corrected in advance. ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
What bulbs are you installing?

Stock turn signal bulbs are only 8 Watts....you are using LED bulbs at 15-16 Watts?

You are actually using more power and not reducing consumption if I am reading this right
According to the service manual and parts list, they are 23 watts each.

Rear Brake is 54 watts, stock.

·
Registered
499 Posts
IIRC it's roughly 5-8 watts for the running mode, 21-27 watts for flashing. Basically, you save almost nothing by swapping in LED's to the rear turn signals because they aren't on normally, but it's worth doing on the fronts and the brake light bulbs because you cut that constant load by about 90%.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the LEDs that I am using.

if you check this out it gives info about the 1157 bulb.
1156 and 1157 Light Bulb Comparison - webBikeWorld

I knew the switching out the back was going to be kind of useless, but I like consistency and I figure go all out or go home.

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
No worries there - my message came across harsher than it should have. I'm running LED's on the rear signals as well, both for consistency and (hopefully) long life. For what it's worth, the license plate lights are a constant draw and worth replacing, I just haven't found a good replacement for them to recommend. Ordered something on the slow boat from China, but haven't gotten it in to test yet.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries there - my message came across harsher than it should have. I'm running LED's on the rear signals as well, both for consistency and (hopefully) long life. For what it's worth, the license plate lights are a constant draw and worth replacing, I just haven't found a good replacement for them to recommend. Ordered something on the slow boat from China, but haven't gotten it in to test yet.
Sniff... Sniff. (wipe nose and cheeks)
Its okay. I, I, I, I didn't think anything of it.
I'm also thinking about replacing the license plate light. Is it a 67 bulb?
Let me know when you find a good replacement.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sniff... Sniff. (wipe nose and cheeks)
Its okay. I, I, I, I didn't think anything of it.
I'm also thinking about replacing the license plate light. Is it a 67 bulb?
Let me know when you find a good replacement.
That sounds right. It's the same base as an 1156 but much lower output.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can any old Led bulb be use here, or is the issue that it has to be directed downward to the license plate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Can any old Led bulb be use here, or is the issue that it has to be directed downward to the license plate.
Down.

Made my own. :)

and the stock is 8 watts.

:nerd:

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
I got some cheap ones similar to your pics. The license plate light is plenty bright, maybe brighter than stock.

The LED tail bulbs are dimmer than stock on mine. I got them from dealextreme.com.

Also got some cheap ones off ebay for the tail, they're even dimmer than the LEDs I have in there now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts