Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never liked the motocross style armor for the street....IMO, when on the road, ya need full comfort so you can concentrate better....
Ive always worn leather....since the 70's...I still have my Perfecto by Schott jacket I had then (friends talked me into it)...its been down, bruised, blocked a knife, and saved my gut once....paid around $125 in '76 brandy new...I just checked, and used like this in great shape are selling for upwards of $500 !!!!
Id never sell mine....too many memories in it...but hey, quality leather appears to be an investment !....just a heads up to those considering all the new fangled stuff....

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I agree with you that you need to be comfortable to be safe. A clear mind is a focused mind. I actually wear a very similar jacket, and have been since I started riding. Mine didn't cost quite so much, but I'm sure it isn't of the same quality either.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I too agree with being comfortable. That's why in Florida I can't imagine wearing leather. :) Textile mesh for me. I want protection but I don't want to be a puddle of sweat on my seat either.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Perfecto is horsehide, and is ultra thick...my cig pocket flap is gone....hanging on a Delta 88 in 1989...but it saved me....and roadrash is nuthin fer this thing, yet its comfortable as heck...
Im glad I dug it out today...shrunk a lil over the years, but I Neatsfoot oiled it and did some flexes....good as new....

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Leather has been used by bikers since day one and is hard to beat. Quality leather jackets of "motorcycle weight" (1.3-1.5mm thickness) provide the superior abrasion resistance.

Many places sell Buffalo or even Kangaroo leather, claiming they are better than cow leather. Maybe....a lot of poorer quality leather jackets are made from "split hide" leather, which in fact is inferior to "top grain" leather. Top grain leather can be twice as strong.

I have a jacket similar to Wolfs and one in a "cafe style". Both are thick, heavy, but pretty comfortable to wear while riding. But being old, they lack the armor you find in the jackets offered today.

Their main fault is that they are not so comfortable when it gets hot. Leather makes a good windbreak, but does not "breathe" like the modern textiles can. They require some care if they get wet and for the most part, only seem to come in black....another issue on a hot day.

In summer I wear a nylon mesh jacket. I know it's not as abrasion resistant as leather, but it's A LOT better than just a T shirt. It also has CE certified armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. It's a compromise, granted, but that with the mesh pants I have keep me pretty cool on a hot day considering I'm wearing a jacket and long pants.;)

Textiles can be had with bright colors, reflective striping, various armor packages, and can be waterproof.

As always, you do seem to get what you pay for. Top line Kevlar mesh jackets cost as much as quality leather does, sometimes more.

With all gear, it's up to the rider to pick his own level of safety.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a lil more oiling to my Perfecto today....under my pits, lol...the leather under my arms was shrunk too much, couldnt raise my arms....seems to ber a lot better now though....
Thats an advantage of synthetic over leather...shrinkage...Im wondering what the resale value of synthetics is though....
A buddy of mine bought a WW2 bomber jacket for $400...it was in great shape....he said he "stole it"....wondering now if vintage leather is better than stocks or a 401k....lol

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Still have my Brooks Brother leather from the 80's. A bit tight. Paid $120 then now $200. Very comfortable also. Have the armor jacket for summer. Much cooler and you look like Swartzenagger in it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You cant do this with synthetic though.....

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
A lot of the early biker jackets are cut like "regular" jackets, meaning you could wear them comfortably when not riding. (Like Fonzies above)

Just about all my textile jackets are cut to "riding position", meaning they are really comfortable sitting on the bike with your arms out holding the bars, but are not comfortable to just wear as jackets when not on the bike. (Even if you remove the armor)

This is either a plus or a minus, depending on your viewpoint. To me it's a plus because the jacket was bought as motorcycle gear and doesn't do weird things like a "regular" cut jacket does when I get on the bike.

My bike leather jackets do work off the bike, but I don't wear them this way because they are kinda heavy and stiff. I dress for comfort not style nowadays;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...I aint dressed for style since 1976, lolol....I CREATE styles, I dont follow em... ;) ...and that Fonzie thing was a joke, btw....in summer, I wear a tee and a camo cutoff over when I ride...the skin is just for spring and autumn....
("skin" is slang for leather, btw)....
If I go down, I go down....yep, I'll suffer...roadrash or worse...but beats wearin a monkey suit....just my OP....and I dont suggest any noobs or those in high traffic areas do so....even in summer, goin into the next county to my mom's, I wear leather....them people down there are nuts on the road....
I like my corn and cowfields, and mountain glens just fine....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here is a link to some discussion of leather vs textile riding gear, and explanations of definitions of terms used to describe various weights of leather and which weights are suitable for fashion and which for riding jackets.
http://www.allstateridernews.com/Rau/LatestStory.aspx?id=101

A typical rule of thumb for leather would be the following:

0.5 – 0.8mm = Lightweight
0.9 – 1.1mm = Middleweight
1.2 – 1.6mm = Heavyweight
1.7 – 2.0mm = Super Heavyweight

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I just sold my FIRSTGEAR By Hein Gericke Motorcycle Leather Jacket Size XL to a rider out in CA. I paid a lot of money for it and was lucky to get 250 for it. The jacket was uber heavy and hot with or without the lining. Some kook is selling it online for $1300 dollars.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-FIRSTGEAR-BY-HEIN-GERICKE-MOTORCYCLE-LEATHER-JACKET-Size-Medium-/150914595567?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item232335faef

About three months ago there was a motorcycle store going out of business in south Jersey and I picked up no less than 4 textile jackets. I sold two of them but didn't make as much as I wanted. My girl bought me a leather for my birthday and I love it. I love old school stuff. This jacket is pretty thick but can but used in the summer during cool nightsl.
http://motorcycleparts2u.com/river-road-hoodlum-vintage-leather-jacket-091762-tr

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But what can ya resell the synth one for ?...a loss.....leather goes up in value....that was the main gist of my post....its like an investment....wasnt meant to be a pro/con post...just "the value of used leather".... ;)

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I did a lil more oiling to my Perfecto today....under my pits, lol...the leather under my arms was shrunk too much, couldnt raise my arms....seems to ber a lot better now though....
Thats an advantage of synthetic over leather...shrinkage...Im wondering what the resale value of synthetics is though....
A buddy of mine bought a WW2 bomber jacket for $400...it was in great shape....he said he "stole it"....wondering now if vintage leather is better than stocks or a 401k....lol
Yup, "distressed" leather is very valuable. The only problem with old leather is it's also usually damaged leather. If you have old "distressed" leather that doesn't have any rips, tears, or stains; it can be quite valuable. Wolfie, I know you don't care because you're keeping the jacket and care more about functionality than looks but by oiling the jacket, you're devaluing it. Again, I know you're not concerned, this is just FYI. My sister, who does extremely well for herself, just bought her husband a new leather jacket. I noticed it was made from highly distressed leather, it was almost a grey color - it was badass, I was so jealous! LOL!!! Anyway, I asked her how much - 825 bucks. Old leather, man.

Any chance you can post a pic of your jacket? I'd kinda like to check it out...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just tried taking a few pics....didnt come out (crappy old 5mp digital)...I'll try again outside tomorrow.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here ya go.... a lil hot glue fixed it...Gateway makes crappy cams....this jacket is older than many of our members, lol...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
looks like the same "style" as mine....but mine is a knock off that is about 10 years old now....still fits though.

I hadn't heard that oiling leather would decrease the value....seems like normal care to me.....go figure!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
looks like the same "style" as mine....but mine is a knock off that is about 10 years old now....still fits though.

I hadn't heard that oiling leather would decrease the value....seems like normal care to me.....go figure!
I have applied Linseed Oil to leather Ball Gloves...would apply onto a jacket should it need it.... I bought my jacket to wear/use, not look at it hanging in a closet....I do not agree with the devaluation thoughts...

just sayin'

:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 22 Posts