Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I purchased some leather chaps. I have only been wearing heavy jeans until now, but felt I need better protection. My knowledge of leather care is woefully lacking. I am not concerned with keeping them looking fresh or pretty.

My big concern is wet. Besides the protection, I wanted them to provide a way to keep my calf's dry when riding around during or after the occasional shower or light rain we get here. My Joe Rocket Jacket and New Balance Hiking shoes protect those parts of my body well enough. It is mainly the road spray that gets me wet.

On another post Mink Oil was mentioned for protection, I also know there are synthetic substances. My ancient past as Boy Scout remembers there was advantages and disadvantages to synthetics that tended to be waxy (I think) vs the oils. But that was for boot leather. And the biggest protection I am concerned with is moisture.

Any opinions. (I know silly question.)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
Mink Oil is the current champ at waterproofing leather. This is for the outside surface. The silicone based products only work well on rough leather..so what this means is..Use the mink oil on th outside..then turn the chaps inside out (if not lined) and soak them good with the spray type silicon water proofer. I have been caught in rain wearing my leather pants a few times..and they still look good ..and I have had them almost 30 years now. After applying the mink oil per instructions...you can also go over the calf/knee sections of the legs with clear/neutural shoe polish..this is basicly a wax..so it helps water bead up and blow off while riding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News highly recommended, so I purchased from my local Harley Shop in the 8oz spray can "Harley Spray Leather Protector and Waterproof" . It's somewhat expensive ($8) for clothing as I only use it on my non-waterproof Joe Rocket boots. Great stuff, however.

Lexol is the other recommended product for leather, not don't think, not sure it does anything for waterproofing. I used Mink Oil on my Hi-Point dirt bike boots for years with great results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts