Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my saddle bags are thick leather, and pretty dirty. so i'm thinking i should try some leather cleaner or something. i've got this kit that came with a leather sofa i bought that i was thinking of using.

whats some thoughts on cleaning saddlebags? if i use the sofa cleaner stuff, will it make the leather so soft and pliable that they don't keep their shape?

or should i go to a tack store and get some saddle soap/cleaner?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I'd save the stuff meant for your couch...for your couch...and just go buy a can of saddle soap.

The point when cleaning leather is not to get it soaking wet..without adding some kind of oil while doing so. Saddle soap contains lanolin...a natural oil of animal skin.

You can also use Murphys oil soap. Most saddlebags have a "finished" surface...meaning it has been smoothed out and dyed, (usually black) This is supposed to make cleaning easier as the surface should just wipe clean with a damp sponge. For the dirt enbeded in scratches or nicks...or in textured leather, saddle soap works best.

After cleaning the bag, let it dry ...then apply a coat of Mink oil. this will help it repell water. (the bags likely had some kind of water repellent on them orginally, but if you clean it them with soap it usually washes that off.

After buffing off the mink oil when it dries...a wipe every now and then with Armour All will help keep dirt off the bags.

KM

1 - 2 of 2 Posts