1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
721 Posts
I wouldn't go for it... looks like its the 'diamond plate' leather, aka scrap pieces of leather sewed together.. usually it's pretty thin and cheap... But, you never know til you (or someone else) try it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Better than nothing, but its the scrap piece jacket for sure. That stuff is thin and has seams every few inches. Seams are what bust when you are sliding so you want as few as possible! Find you a good thick all leather one piece jacket like a Fieldsheer or something, spend maybe 125 or so and don't look back. It will last you forever and will protect you too. Mine didn't cost too much and has pockets for all the CE armor, which I remove from my mesh and put it in the leather for the winter riding. Seems like I paid 119 on sale for my fleldsheer.

This is the exact jacket I bought, very good heavy leather and at $119. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/cruiser/mens+jackets+&+vests/fieldsheer_deuce+2+leather+jacket

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That's a great jacket for the kiddies riding their pedal bikes in the parking lot, but not for anything else!!
Kinda the same saying for jackets (as well as other gear) as for helmets.... A $10 jacket (helmet) for a $10 body (head).

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Last spring, about the same time that I bought my bike, I bought some black buffalo leather luggage from a local classified add. It was a back pack, a windshield bag and a tool bag made from these small scrap pieces sewed together. It looks sharp, but the first time that I tried to use the back pack, the pack strap tore loose from the bag. It was poorly designed, with only a seam stitch holding the strap to the bag.

I agree with fergy, if you are going to wear leather, get a good, thick mc quality leather jacket with as few seams as possible. I have a copy of the "Too Cool Motorcycle School" manual from Calgary, that has some very good tips on what to look for when buying leather and/or synthetic riding gear. I have misplaced it, but will post some of the tips when I find it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Leather up has some very good leather Jackets in the 100 to 150 dollar range and they are good people to deal with too.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Yep another 1+ to leatherup.com

I got my boots, gloves, and jacket from there. The quality is very good on all three items, especially the jacket and the boots. (Xelement brand on both of those)

I, like many others, ordered the jacket one size larger than I typically wear and it fits me well, not too snug, not too loose, just right. (typically a XL and I ordered a 2XL). link to jacket

I'd recommend them and I will be buying from the again. Maybe some new saddlebags.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Something is better than nothing and you usually get what you pay for. Ditto on what everyone else said. I see no mention of armor(or armour for our UK friends) either.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Mine didn't cost too much and has pockets for all the CE armor, which I remove from my mesh and put it in the leather for the winter riding. Seems like I paid 119 on sale for my fleldsheer.

This is the exact jacket I bought, very good heavy leather and at $119. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/cruiser/mens+jackets+&+vests/fieldsheer_deuce+2+leather+jacket
I was looking for something that looked more traditional, but had or would accept armor that I already had. I've been real happy with it, and if its real cold (I've done 22 degrees a few times) I have room to wear a heavy hollow fill liner that is pure toasty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts