Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VN leaks a little bit of coolant while it's parked and cold. I've attached a picture of where it appears to be coming out. The hose seems fine, and the clamp also seems to be in working order, though I'm not sure if it should be tighter.
That's the left side of the bike, the side it's leaning towards when it's on the kick stand.
Why is it leaking while it's just sitting there? It's possible it's only leaking for a bit while it's cooling, after I've ridden it.
What should I do to fix it?
Inquiring minds will want to know where that little round cap went, the on on the frame. I'm not sure and I haven't even started looking for it, but I'll want to get a replacement at some point.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motorcycle

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
My VN leaks a little bit of coolant while it's parked and cold. I've attached a picture of where it appears to be coming out. The hose seems fine, and the clamp also seems to be in working order, though I'm not sure if it should be tighter.
That's the left side of the bike, the side it's leaning towards when it's on the kick stand.
Why is it leaking while it's just sitting there? It's possible it's only leaking for a bit while it's cooling, after I've ridden it.
What should I do to fix it?
Inquiring minds will want to know where that little round cap went, the on on the frame. I'm not sure and I haven't even started looking for it, but I'll want to get a replacement at some point.
View attachment 55565
Looks like it's probably that hose, the clamp is slightly crooked.

It is also common for the black metal coolant tube to leak, it just has an o-ring to seal it. There's a tiny bit of white corrosion showing there. The steel tube and aluminum head will corrode easily. I used two o-rings on mine instead of one. There's usually corrosion buildup in the hole that needs cleaned out.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
I thought that was the reed valve in that pic, am I missing something?
Oh hell, you're right! I must've been half asleep.

Shouldn't be any water coming from there.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out where it is coming from.
What's the reed valve?
It's part of an air system that injects exhaust gases into the intake to help with emissions.

· Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out where it is coming from.
What's the reed valve?
As mentioned it’s part of an EPA system to help reduce emissions, and it’s the reason most of these bikes pop when you decelerate. If you ever read posts about anyone “marbling or coastering” their bike then they are removing or blocking these.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Yes it is.

I used double orings on mine.

The pipes and the holes in the heads usually have corrosion built up. Steel vs aluminum.

Clean looking engine you have there. Looks dang near mint in the pics.

· Registered
907 Posts
That is indeed a coolant line. You can remove them without much hassle if you take the tank off, and you can replace the likely failed o-ring with one from a "universal metric o-ring kit" from Harbor Freight or an autoparts store.

I had to clean the pipe pretty good when I took mine out, dissimilar metals cause corrosion. Clean it good, replace the o-ring, and (if you want to, may not be recommended) slather a little coolant-proof gasket maker/RTV on there for good measure.

There's one on each cylinder, and they will both likely leak at some point.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
You can also use a 5/8" oring.

I wouldn't use RTV because it can push the oring out of place when it cures. I did put some waterproof grease on mine, and used two orings on each pipe .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts