Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
New to this site, but was so excited when I found it. I just picked up my first VN 750 a couple weeks ago. It's an 01' with 20,000 and everything runs great, except for the leaky petcock. I have attached a couple photos of the plastic bit that holds the vacuum plug. If you can see it there is a small factory made hole in the plastic bit that runs from the center and out one of the sides. When I start up the bike this hole sprays out gas. Any thoughts? I'm hoping all I need is a rebuild kit. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
There are more than one place where you can get replacement parts. One is "CheapCycleParts". I believe they have an illustrated parts breakdown for the petcock in the Fuel Tank 1/3 section. I don't know where they stand in relation to other places price-wise but I've always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
The diaphragm is shot. Might see some holes in it if you hold it up to a light and flex it.

Got mine off ebay but it was still about $22, if I recall.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
Make sure you're getting the whole rebuild kit with the diaphragm/piston. Some people just sell the smiley face rubber gasket and that's not what you need.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Good luck. Your other option (you may already know about and have purposefully skipped) is to save a few bucks over the kit and just get a manual TW200 petcock and use a T since its only one output.

I did that cause I'm cheap, simple and its not vacuum operated. OEM tw200 petcocks are $17 shipped for the whole thing + T. the $8 chinese ones are supposed to be junky.

Enjoy your 'new' bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck. Your other option (you may already know about and have purposefully skipped) is to save a few bucks over the kit and just get a manual TW200 petcock and use a T since its only one output.

I did that cause I'm cheap, simple and its not vacuum operated. OEM tw200 petcocks are $17 shipped for the whole thing + T. the $8 chinese ones are supposed to be junky.

Enjoy your 'new' bike!
I have been debating this option. With that option I would simply cap off the vacuum instead of letting it run to the petcock, correct? This is my first bike that has functioned with a vacuum to the petcock so its a bit foreign to me still. As far as the mechanics of it goes I don't see why more people wouldn't go that rout.
Have you found any issues in capping off and modifying to a vacuum-less petcock?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
yes just cap it off

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been debating this option. With that option I would simply cap off the vacuum instead of letting it run to the petcock, correct? This is my first bike that has functioned with a vacuum to the petcock so its a bit foreign to me still. As far as the mechanics of it goes I don't see why more people wouldn't go that rout.
Have you found any issues in capping off and modifying to a vacuum-less petcock?
No - works. closest thing to an 'issue' is just hose size. OEM metric hoses are pretty big, too big for the TW200 barb. I used stretch semitranslucent hose that fit over the barb and oem carb barbs too.

Some people erroneously think the single petcock would somehow restrict fuel flow, no, and this isn't a space shuttle we are talking about gravity pulls in volume way faster than the engine can burn it. No performance issues by many users.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts