Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having some fuel line problems so I decided to do some diagnosing. In the process I took apart the petcock (which never EVER leaked) and cleaned it out. Now when I put it back together it is leaking like a sieve!!! It looks like from the back, where the diaphram is. I tightened the 4 screws as much as possible and it still leaks like crazy. I can't figure it out. Everything looks exactly like it did when I opened it. The diaphram looks intact . Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I also installed 2 clear in-line fuel filters for each line out of the petcock. I noticed the rear filter fills up pretty fast when running and stays completely full while the front filter barely fills up at all. Is this an indication of another unrelated situation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: Ok, so I found fuel coming out of the vacuum line so I figured it MUST be a faulty diaphram... must of ruined it when I took it apart. So I did a little surgery: I COMPLETELY removed the diaphram block, made a makeshift shield/gasket and screwed the back plate directly onto the main valve body without the diaphram block. The shield basically eliminated the whole vacuum system. Then I plugged the vacuum hose at the carb to stop suction. Turned the petcock to 'on'. Now the fuel system pretty much should have an unrestricted, constant flow of fuel. I started her up and WAM, like a kitten. Inspected the valve area, not a drop of fuel. So far so good. Gave her a few revs and she responded right on the mark. I put the seat back on and took her for a few spins around the block. Boy did she RUN!!! I could almost hear her gulping up that gas. I think she ran even better than before. THEN..... about five minutes later, just as I turned around to head back home she started sputtering on me, like one cylinder wasn't responding or something. I noticed in my previous attempts that it always did the same thing. Idled great for about five minutes then the RPMS would drop suddenly and she would ultimately die. I opened the gas tank to make sure it wasn't vacuum lock and it wasn't. I'm still concerned about the 2 filters' fuel levels being so different.

A little backstory: This whole ordeal began when I removed my rusted tank to clean it out. Did the old nuts and bolts shaking thing but it only helped a little bit. When I reassembled and ran her it was a mess. I figure some debris must have gotten in the system, thus the installation of the in-line filters. I drained the bowls and injected gumout. Left it like that overnight and then installed the fuel filters and cleaned the petcock. That brought me to where this post starts.

I feel I'm so close. After all, this last test-drive was PERFECT up until the sudden loss of power. I'll keep digging. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Might be a good idea to try Seafoam in the gas. It's fixed alot of troubles for alot of people.
Being in Florida, you shouldn't have much trouble finding it at a marine/boat shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts