Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Kawasaki 750 vn Vulcan it's been standing for a couple of years I bought a new battery for her it turns over but won't start and the fuel has started to leak from where you turn the fuel on ,I'm no way mechanically minded so if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated David☹

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi Vulcanrider56,
Please take a moment and post an introduction in the newbie section so we can get to know your experience with riding and wrenching, then open a new thread dedicated to your specific issue, since it is a different topic than fuel filter size.
A picture of exactly where the petcock is leaking would be helpful for diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome aboard, Vulcanrider56.

Did you just buy it? Just wondering if the leak is new or old.
The petcock (where you turn the fuel on/off) has a diaphragm inside that will probably need to be replaced if it is leaking. You can buy replacement petcocks or rebuild the old one with just a replacement diaphragm (money vs effort tradeoff).

Check to see if the battery is fully charged and providing sufficient cranking amperage. You can remove it from the bike and take it to an auto parts store to be tested.

If there was gas in the carburetors while it sat for three years, they will probably have varnish build-up and will not work properly. They'll probably have to be removed and cleaned thoroughly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't want to hijack your thread, but honestly I have the exact and issue. I got my bike a few years back and barely rode it, and then I had a baby. I was aware with the bike sitting so long I'd have trouble starting it, combination of old gas (w/stabilizer) and dead battery. Now I'm finally looking to sell the bike and decided I'd get it in running shape. I replaced the battery and after some struggle it actually did start! At running a couple minutes I noticed a steady drip of gas from the petcock area. It sounds just like what the OP is experiencing. I did take a couple photos which I'll attach here. I soaked up some of the gas to make sure that's what it was (bike has always had a gasoline smell when running)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts