Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started this project on a 1996 Vulcan 750 took me 3 weeks to get it started and when it started for the first time a bunch of fluid started coming out of this tube I took a picture of it’s between the radiator and right underneath the intake box can anyone tell me what this tube is for I thought it was for the air intake and maybe just full of gunk from sitting for so long but maybe it’s a oil line that is suppose to go to something else

Attachments

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
There's a condensate drain hose on the front bottom of the airbox, it's normally running down the right side of the radiator.

I don't see a hose in the pic, but it looks like the ducts are open on the airbox. Maybe got some water in there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a condensate drain hose on the front bottom of the airbox, it's normally running down the right side of the radiator.

I don't see a hose in the pic, but it looks like the ducts are open on the airbox. Maybe got some water in there?
It’s that little metal tube attached to the block and the stuff coming out of it seems like old gas or something in that nature it’s clear but feels sluggish and smells like gas but kinda sweet

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
If your talking about this pipe, I think it is suppose to have a short hose to the bottom front of the air surge tank. The little drain hose Spockster references hits the bottom right of the surge tank, and this fatter connection is at the bottom left.
Edit: Couldn't really tell you what it is, but it is likely some kind of crankcase vent.
1604119780918.png

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
If your talking about this pipe, I think it is suppose to have a short hose to the bottom front of the air surge tank. The little drain hose Spockster references hits the bottom right of the surge tank, and this fatter connection is at the bottom left.
Edit: Couldn't really tell you what it is, but it is likely some kind of crankcase vent.
View attachment 52569
Yep! Crankcase vent.

I suspect the petcock or a carb leaking has filled the crankcase with gas. Is the crankcase overfull?

There's a short hose with 90 degree bend that connects from the vent to the bottom of the air box.

Couldn't see the pic very well on my phone, and my left eye developed a big problem today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 52569
That’s some really good info thanks but why do you think some liquid is coming out of it?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What Spockster was talking about is if coolant (sweet smelling) or gasoline has leaked past a gasket/seal/float valve, then it will most likely find it's way into the oil pan, raising the oil level past what it should be, and when the resulting mixture gets sloshed around, it very well may find an exit at the case vent you're talking about.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
There should never be liquid coming from the crankcase vent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What Spockster was talking about is if coolant (sweet smelling) or gasoline has leaked past a gasket/seal/float valve, then it will most likely find it's way into the oil pan, raising the oil level past what it should be, and when the resulting mixture gets sloshed around, it very well may find an exit at the case vent you're talking about.
It’s definitely not a cream color it’s clear and smells like old gas but sometimes I smell it as a little sweet so I want to do a oil change on it to see how the oil is looking but the liquid coming out is clear

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
So I’m guessing a rebuild is needed or a engine replacement in general?
Maybe not, if the liquid is gas, it's probably the petcock or carb problem.

Clear liquid wouldn't be antifreeze, but if it has only water for coolant, that could point to an internal problem like head gaskets or water pump.

The open crankcase vent could also let water in during washing.

·
Member? ... check.
547 Posts
so I want to do a oil change on it to see how the oil is looking but the liquid coming out is clear
Before you do that oil change, you need to find out if the petcock is leaking fuel through the vac line as Spockster suggests. The vac line from the petcock to the left carb should be dry inside. If that looks good, use the petcock 'off' position when not in use until you know your floats are ok. For me, I always cut the gas of anyway between rides as a habit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Before you do that oil change, you need to find out if the petcock is leaking fuel through the vac line as Spockster suggests. The vac line from the petcock to the left carb should be dry inside. If that looks good, use the petcock 'off' position when not in use until you know your floats are ok. For me, I always cut the gas of anyway between rides as a habit.
I think I need a new petcock in general it leaks and still turns on in the off position

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I think I need a new petcock in general it leaks and still turns on in the off position
With a bad diaphragm the petcock can leak into the engine even when turned to off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts