Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my pre-ride inspection today, I noticed that my brake fluid level was slightly above the "lower" notch on the reservoir. Any suggestions as the most likely place(s) to look where it might be leaking? Thank you in advance.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
How's your pads?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
as the pads wear the piston fills up with fluid so teh level will go down a little.
If you don't see any fluid anywhere I would not worry unless your pad is almost out.
Rember Motorcycle pads are very thin not like a car, what did the fluid look like, was it clear or brown, should be clear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cegodsey - don't really know. Bought the bike 900+ miles ago, and immediately took it to a local cycle guy to change all the fluids. At that time he said "the pads were in good shape". I'm learning how to ride, and try to practice mostly on the twisties, so I'm using the brakes more than usual. How many miles are pads typically good for (realizing everyone brakes differently)? Also, got a kick out of your 6th gear remarks!

Cc - when I bought the bike, the reservoir was full with clear fluid. I check levels before every ride (typically can only ride on weekends- weather permitting), and unless I missed a look or 2, this fluid drop seems dramatic. I will put some paper under the bike to check for drops. How thick are new pads?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
New pads are only about 1/4 intch or less, I thought mine were almost out so I got a new set and realised they are almost new:)

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
My pads are still good, and I've got about 23K miles on mine. I think your idea about paper under the bike is good; I don't know of anyone ever reporting a leak on this forum.

***OOPS! search the forum for brake fluid leak and you'll get a bunch of topics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts