Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For some time there is this gas smell around my bike. Now today I found out that right below the tank around 1 of the bolts (see pictures), I felt it was very moist. So I tested with a finger and smelled the gas. Appearently somewhere petrol comes out where it shouldn't.

Is there any place around there that could be leaking or can it be only a hole created by rust? (sorry for the clumsy descriptions, english is not my native language)

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you take of the seat, you can see the gas line that runs from the tank. It's possible that the leak is there and just runs to that side of the tank. Check there first. It's easiest to access and easiest to fix if that's the problem. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
actually, the fuel line comes out of the bottom of the tank, left side, center. thats where the petcock is.

that looks like the right side tank mounting ear. there should be no gas near that. only fluid near that is coolant (thermostat housing is just above and to the right of there)

all of that said, tank removal to investigate is a breeze. I can probably take mine off in 8-10 mins max. and thats only because my seat mount is not the same as stock

remove seat
remove vacuum line at petcock (either from petcock or the left carb)
remove 2 fuel lines from petcock
disconnect vent line from bottom rear (may have 2, may not)
disconnect the electrical connection there for the fuel level sender (2 wires i believe, should be right next to the vent line)
remove 3 bolts (one rear center, one left, one right)
lift tank off the bike.

NOTE: pay attention to the hardware that the mounts have on them, that needs to go back into the same place, front and rear are not the same

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnx, will have a look at it a.s.a. I have the engine running again. It died 2 days ago :-:)crying:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts