Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When replacing the rear tire and lubing the drive shaft splines, I noticed that the input shaft of the final drive had some lateral play. Figuring the bearings were shot for some reason, I bought a used final drive from ebay. It is supposed to only have 9k on it, and it also has play in the input shaft. Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is this somehow normal, or did I get another bad one?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Some play could be normal, it depends how much you're seeing.

There may be some pre-load adjustment with the nut on the "drive pinion" (for lack of the proper term), would need to study a diagram.

Pretty sure mine had some, but it would be measurable in thousandths of an inch. Maybe .005-.008?

Specs may be in the repair manual. Did you download the free one? Link in my signature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the manual and it doesn't have a spec for this. Studying the diagrams and assembly procedure suggests that there is no adjustment that would affect this.
What really gets me is why they won't sell the bearings. It appears that the only way to get the outer bearings is to buy a ring and pinion set. This pretty much makes rebuilding these final drives out of the question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts