Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized last night while tooling around the garage that my twin has been taking my bike every day and going riding with Jeff. He told me he would tell me when he was taking it and he didn't. He took the backrest off, the rear brake was messed with, he let Jeff ride it and do who knows what, and there's a chip in the paint on the god damn gas tank!!!! I'm pissed! Needless to say I got the key back and told them both to go eff themselves. While I'm walking away my brother tells me I'm over reacting. I turn around and asked him to tell me that again and even said please. He didn't. You guys already know how I feel about Jeff. He's lucky he stood there quiet.

I will NEVER let ANYONE ride my bike again for as long as its mine. Call this a lesson learned...

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
It doesn't matter who you let ride it they will NEVER give your bike the care and respect she deserves. :doh:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey LP, that`s too bad that your brother and Jeff didn`t respect you enough to live up to the promise to tell you when he wanted to ride your bike. You were justified in taking your key back, and terminating his riding priveleges too. IMHO, whoever chipped the paint on the tank, should pay to have it repaired.

However I encourage you to not let this incident drive a deeper wedge between the two of you. Tell him how you feel, and what you would like him to do. But if you must, be the bigger man and forgive him, before you wake up one morning and regret that you haven`t spoken to one another for years. Peace brother.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
My guideline for letting someone ride my bike is they have to have a bike themselves, and we trade keys. I get to ride theirs , they get to ride mine, but only if the following criteria are met:

1. I first have to trust their skill as a rider. If I don't think they have the experiance needed , it ain't going to happen.

2. Their bike has to be at least equal in value to mine.

If they wreck my bike I get to keep theirs till they get mine fixed (and of course , visa versa) And this is agreed to before we set out.

Letting your bike be the "house bike" only would make sence to me if all parties involved shared all costs on the bike, including the purchase price to start with. (but then it would not be YOUR bike then right?)

Loaning anything you own to anyone always involves some risk, I am quite sure the chip in the tank was completely unintentional and you really can't blame them for it, you should have realized even with someone attempting to be carefull , accidents can always happen. If they knew they did it and did not mention it to you, that is another issue ...............

KM

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
I've only let one person ride my bike, a rider with FAR more skill than me. Sometime in the next few months, I'll be loaning it to a friend; he let me ride his sprotsbile when my bike was in the shop. He wants to find out how I'm able to keep up with / get ahead of sportsbikes on the ultratwist. :smiley_th

Hey LibertyPilot, can I ride your bike? <passes out laughing> :motorcycl

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haha I'm so glad my brother doesn't even know how ride a motorcycle, now my dad is another story...

I think I'm going to hide the keys when I store it while I'm away at school in the fall.

·
Registered
707 Posts
see that blows... us responsible people are screwed outa a nice ride with a buddy cuz someone had to be an ass.... yeah well hard lesson learned... i hope all goes well with fixing everything... good luck man..

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You're right, no one will respect her the way I do so from now on, no one rides her but me. Then if something does happen to it, which happens, it'll be my fault and I can't get pissed at anyone else. He was just trying to have a good time and I did give him the key. I didn't know he was going to turn it into a "house bike". THAT ain't happenin'! Well, it can't be ALL his fault, I'm to blame too a little I guess. He was apologetic yesterday. I should've known actually. I thought he could be trusted to treat it the way I do, but no one treats it the way I do. I'm SO meticulous about the bike. If there was even a hair on it I would've noticed and blamed him, not sure what I was thinking. Anyway thanks for letting me vent and listening to my bull shirt (yes, bull shirt). Me and the bro are ok now, I cooled down some (thanks Hoss). It just sucks I got a 93 with 15k on it and it had a PERFECT paint job! Had being the operative word. Now its got a chip...damn it. Hey krebsne, road trip to Philly?

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
You're right, no one will respect her the way I do so from now on, no one rides her but me.
I thought he could be trusted to treat it the way I do, but no one treats it the way I do. I'm SO meticulous about the bike.
Here is a Lesson that I was taught by My Dad........

When I was about 16 My Dad left early one Saturday and when He came Home
He was hauling a 54 Ford Pick-up. He said Here this is for you. Then He handed
Me a bag with some parts in it. The Engine had Jumped the Timing Chain.
He said get your clothes changed and let's get this truck fixed.

Anyway I fixed, He watched. Then as soon as I started the truck He gave me a Bill for $125.00
I asked what that was and he said that is what the Truck and Parts Cost.
I said But Dad other dad's are giving cars to their kids without Charging them.

Here comes the Lesson...........

He said Yes I could just give you this Truck But then you'd just take it out and tear it up,
But since You have to pay for it and put the labor into fixing it, You'll now take care of it.

He was right.

Later I traded it off for a 66 Mustang Convertible...........

·
Registered
411 Posts
Definitely sorry to hear that, LP. Kinda bites when you try to do something nice and someone takes undue advantage...

--FA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts