Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I laid my bike down this morning during a low speed turn. Hit a wet spot from sprinkler run-off when turning a corner this morning. I was able to get upright after sliding but had to hit the brakes to avoid running into the curb and that's when I laid it down. My pride is hurt more then anything! Very minimal damage to the bike, my LeatherLyke bags kept a lot of the bike off the ground. My RH mirror is scraped up and bent. RH foot peg is scraped up. RH bag is scratched pretty good. Brake foot pedal is bent. Handlebars are cocked to the left. Don't think the bars are bent, think something got knocked out of alignment. What should I be looking for to straighten them out?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
So I laid my bike down this morning during a low speed turn. Hit a wet spot from sprinkler run-off when turning a corner this morning. I was able to get upright after sliding but had to hit the brakes to avoid running into the curb and that's when I laid it down. My pride is hurt more then anything! Very minimal damage to the bike, my LeatherLyke bags kept a lot of the bike off the ground. My RH mirror is scraped up and bent. RH foot peg is scraped up. RH bag is scratched pretty good. Brake foot pedal is bent. Handlebars are cocked to the left. Don't think the bars are bent, think something got knocked out of alignment. What should I be looking for to straighten them out?
Look for two trees growing close together. Stick the front wheel between them and see if you can turn the forks in a way to straighten them out.

Sorry about the accedent.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I've even did dirt bikes with the front wheel between the legs and facing the bars give'em a quick jerk, may have to de-torque the bolts a bit on the vn750...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow, that sucks man! Sorry to hear the low down on the lay down. Unfortunately, I can relate and know very well watcha mean about the hurt pride and all. :doh:

Glad that's all that you hurt. The bike can be fixed. Pretty sure many others here have had similar experiences at some point during their riding years.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident.
If Niteriders simple "twist the front wheel between the trees" doesn`t cure the problem, get a strong friend to sit on the bike, lean back to raise the front wheel off the ground, and hold the bars straight.

If the wheel still points off to the side, loosen the 4 pinch bolts on the fork tube clamps (Fork Bridge) just enough to allow you twist the tubes by hand and bring the wheel back in line while your friend holds the bars.

The upper "Fork Bridge Bolts" need to be torqued back to 14.5 ft lb
The lower two bolts need torquing to 18 ft lb.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Glad to hear you're Ok. I just saw an OEM R Mirror on ebay today for $20 BIN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts