Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boy Howdy !!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's one I bet you don't get too often, going down the seedy part of my town I slowed to cross some R.R, tracks, when I looked up Pow there was a lady of the nite, had to lay the bike down. I came away with minor damage, but somehow one of my screws that holds the speedo faceplate came loose. the unit looks to be sealed so my Question is can anything be done other than replacing the unit, I even tried using a magnet and while I was able to get the screw upright and in the hole I could not turn it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Not sure why you "laid it down" but disassembling he speedo is fairly difficult. You could try drilling a hole with a carbide bit over the screw hole and then sealing after you tighten the screw back up with clear epoxy ora rubber plug.
Hmmm hit a hooker or lay the bike down? There's an age old question, if the hooker dies,do you still have to pay her?. Back on topic( yeah I'll bet no one expected to hear me say that lol) did the screw not turn at all or were you just not able to get a screwdriver on it?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure why you "laid it down" but disassembling he speedo is fairly difficult. You could try drilling a hole with a carbide bit over the screw hole and then sealing after you tighten the screw back up with clear epoxy ora rubber plug.
This, ^^^^

Disassembling the speedo or tach is a PITA. I've done it on mine, and when the tach still wasn't fixed (broken wire on the spring, my ham fisted soldering fixed it beyond repair) I just Ebay'd an electronic unit.

If you try it, Step 1. remove the gauge from the dash. Step 2. take the back plastic part off, should just be a wiring connection, the speedo cable, and two screws. And the Odo/trip knob, it's got a screw in the end. Step 3. using a small screw driver or pick gently pry up the back side of the chrome trim ring. Yes the ring is crimped on. Yes you could just cut the white plastic under the chrome cover, and tape or epoxy it back. Step 3.5. clean up the blood and put a band aid on your hand. And lastly, pull the trim ring and front glass off.

To reassemble it just place the front back on, and using a flat head, roll the back of the trim ring back down. You were careful about prying it up right? did it in multiple passes? When it's mostly back down, use a vise with jaw protectors and place the gauge in so your squeezing the lip on the front and back of the trim ring, this is to flatten and crimp it back down. Be Gentle.

·
Boy Howdy !!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that sounds like a doable project. I will let you know how it came out

·
Boy Howdy !!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank's for all your input, this forum has over the years been a god send. speaking of "oh god" the thing was the R.R. tracts are so beat up you could wedge your front tire into a sudden stop with plus it being night I was so focused on the tracts when I looked up she was right there, of course she could pay nothing and I declined pu**y payments. anyway once more thank you.

Reactions: DACataldo

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmmm hit a hooker or lay the bike down? There's an age old question, if the hooker dies,do you still have to pay her?.

Lay the hooker down, hit the bike - - - More fun! (and more socially acceptable). >:)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Lay the hooker down, hit the bike - - - More fun! (and more socially acceptable). >:)
But then you still have to pay the hooker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts