Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a vn750, but I hope y'all are still my friends...
Anyone have any experience with oil tests...???
I sure don't, and need a red neck type explaination...lol...
I don't know how to post them (pdf), but here is basically what my report states... Oil is Mobil 1 15w-50 (Syn.), Filter is HD chrome Std. Sportster filter (30 or 40 Micron...???)
With 11,200 mi. on the bike, and 3,100 mi. on the oil...

What do you think, would the extra copper, lead & tin be from bronze valve guides or what...???

As per Blackstone Labs...
"The extra copper, lead, and tin likely show bronze part wear, but since this is the first sample, we are
not going to call the extra metal a problem. Universal averages show typical wear for a Harley Davidson
1,200cc engine after about 2,200 miles on the oil. You ran your oil out to 3,100 miles, but a longer run isn't
typically to blame for added metal (except iron). The slightly low viscosity was probably not a contributing
factor either. The TBN was 6.5, showing plenty of active additive remaining. A TBN is low at 1.0. Try 3,000
miles again next and then check back."

Copper 54,
Univ. Avg. 17

Lead- 8,
Universal. Avg.- 3

Tin- 13,
Univ. Avg.- 1

The additives...??? Were good I guess...
Phosphorus- 912
Zinc- 1174

The Viscosity...???
SUS Viscosity @ 210*F 76.9
Should be 78-95

cSt Viscosity @ 100*C 14.75
Should be 15-19.4

Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
if the lab does't find it highly unusual,it probably isn't that bad ,your engine is still fairly new and may still be breaking in, in different parts of the engine .

I do know when they got an oil sample that was out of whack at the mine I worked at, they dropped the oil out and changed it and the filters again,and ran it up to the hours normally ran and retested to see if it was an anomaly or failure on the way.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Never even heard of someone doing a lab test on their vehicle oil before this... Makes me feel like a caveman lol

·
Banned
431 Posts
Never even heard of someone doing a lab test on their vehicle oil before this... Makes me feel like a caveman lol
Me neither, but very interesting though

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As stated above truckers have it done, and about all heavy construction equipment owners, airplanes owners, cycle owners etc...
Here is one of the more popular test labs... http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
they will send you free sampling bottles and instructions, check it out...
I did mine to determine if I wanted to spend the big $$$ for an extended warranty, I think I can get another one in @ 15k with 3k on the oil before my 2 yr. warranty is up and decide then... I wish I knew how to post the pdf file, it would let you see more of what they do...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Banned
431 Posts
To upload the .pdf, click "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" response box. Scroll down to "Additional Options" and the "Manage Attachments" button allows you to upload a file like a .pdf.... Find the file where it is saved on your computer to upload it and post it in your message!

Kind of hard to explain and probably easier said than done, but I would love to see the report.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Old Dog, you can post the results on bobistheoilguy.com forum under the motorcycle forum and I believe the folks there will give you a good reading and explain it. Those guys are all into this stuff like a passion.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old Dog, you can post the results on bobistheoilguy.com forum under the motorcycle forum and I believe the folks there will give you a good reading and explain it. Those guys are all into this stuff like a passion.
Thanks fergy... I went to the bobistheoilguy motorcycle oil analysis forum and finally got registered, seems like every user name and or post handle had been used, I finally put them in backwards and got registered...lol...
Still can't post the pdf here or there though...:doh:...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If the pdf isn't too long, you could make images of it using print screen. If not, then I suppose you could upload it to some file storing/sharing website... like photobucket but for files instead of images... can't give you an example of one though, but google should turn up a few.

·
Banned
431 Posts
It's pretty easy to upload a .pdf here, I have attached one to this message for my mower. 6 clicks and about 30 seconds.

Attachments

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A step by step on how you did this would be nice. Give some of us old timers some help in the process!:)
Yep fergy, us old timers need help in this digital world... When I went to school we had pencil & paper...lol... Oh, I forgot fingers & toes...lol...
Maybe thats why I didn't go to the 8th grade...lol...
km60155, I don't know about that specific mower, but I have an 89 mod. Wheel Horse (Toro now) Z-724 that is still doin fine at age 22, I replaced one spindle bearing and +/- 4-5 belts over the years, other than change oil & filter and reg. maintence...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts