Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to install these used grips tonight that I bought from someone on here.

Do any of you have any tips and or tricks for removal of the stock grips and installation of the new ones. I assume the grip with the little tabs on the open end of the grip goes on the throttle side???

Thanks in advance,
Steven

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
stock grip removal:
1. cut grip lengthwise with razor knife.
2. peel off grip.
3. clean glue residue with prefered solvent.

note: careful not to slice through throttle tube.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
stock grip removal:
1. cut grip lengthwise with razor knife.
2. peel off grip.
3. clean glue residue with prefered solvent.

note: careful not to slice through throttle tube.
Was hoping to keep the stock grips, in case I need them later or someone on the forum needs a set.

Have read that to remove you can pour lighter fluid (I assume the zippo type, not the cooking type)
between the grip and the chrome to loosen it up.
Have seen that Gorilla Glue is also a good glue to put the replacement ones on with.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Can also spray WD-40 inside the grip and loosen it up. Another, quick, method is to slip a flat blade screwdriver under the grip, insert a compressed air nozzle, and infleate! Comes right off.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can also spray WD-40 inside the grip and loosen it up. Another, quick, method is to slip a flat blade screwdriver under the grip, insert a compressed air nozzle, and infleate! Comes right off.
Have heard that works. I'm just trying to imagine what the throttle side looks like under the grip? Would it hurt to spray WD40 under that side as well?

Also, can I use Gorilla Glue to reinstall?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I haven't had mine off, but from the pics I've seen of the throttle side, it's just a thin sleeve the grip slips over. Either method should work well on both grips.

I would not use Gorilla glue! If you ever want to get that puppy off, it ain't comin' without a saw or grinder involved. Have heard a lot of folks recommend hair spray. Lubricates to help installation, holds it when it's dry, and isn't too hard to remove.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had mine off, but from the pics I've seen of the throttle side, it's just a thin sleeve the grip slips over. Either method should work well on both grips.

I would not use Gorilla glue! If you ever want to get that puppy off, it ain't comin' without a saw or grinder involved. Have heard a lot of folks recommend hair spray. Lubricates to help installation, holds it when it's dry, and isn't too hard to remove.
Have decided not to risk it, and just drop by a cycle shop this afternoon and pick up some grip glue...

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, got the left side off pretty easily, cleaned up the handle bar, then the new grip just slides on easily. Shouldn't there be
some resistance? I put a bunch of grip glue on the handle bar, thinking it would grab, but with the grip on it is easily
moving around. Did I get jipped and got the wrong size grips for my bike?

These are the Kuryakyn ISO grips that I was sold from the sell/swap section of this list. Here is the posting

http://www.vn750.com/forum/index.php

·
Registered
796 Posts
Slim this thread is an earlier thread. I think it was discussed in another area. But in case it hasn't been resolved I think he is trying to put the throttle side grip onto the left handlebar. The throttle side grip has a bit larger inside diameter to compensate for the throttle sleeve.<<<If that is what it is called??? lol

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome back. I thought I hadn't seen you post lately.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Baldy, Check out my AWOL Post in the Goats Belly.. it explains my absence... I am here now, but not planning on being on much still. I am spending most of my free time with my wife or working on my jeep. The bike is finished for now, but I will continue to lurk and answer questions when I can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts