Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dave
95 Posts
If you don't mind my asking why did you take them off? I was thinking this winter while my bike is in the basement putting a pair on.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were on it when I bought it, took them off at the beginning of the year but im just now getting around to sell them, I put stock grips on because I didn't care for the bigger grips.

If you don't mind my asking why did you take them off? I was thinking this winter while my bike is in the basement putting a pair on.

Thanks Dave

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Took them off my 2004 Vulcan 750 went back to stock
Would you take $40 with shipping included? I'm on a budget, working on 2 projects... My 2003 Vulcan and a 1970 F100... My wife is gonna make me start sleeping in the truck before too long...

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could probably do that, where are you located?

Would you take $40 with shipping included? I'm on a budget, working on 2 projects... My 2003 Vulcan and a 1970 F100... My wife is gonna make me start sleeping in the truck before too long...

PM me if interested.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
i could probably do that, where are you located?

What kind of shape are they in. Any scratches. Also, you wouldn't happen to have the glue that came with them, would you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There in good shape, only one small scratch on throttle grip, sorry I don't have the glue they were on my bike when I got it.

What kind of shape are they in. Any scratches. Also, you wouldn't happen to have the glue that came with them, would you?

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Sending PM.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
There in good shape, only one small scratch on throttle grip, sorry I don't have the glue they were on my bike when I got it.

Sent the Paypal payment yesterday. Can you get them in the mail today?

Thanks,
Steven

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts

You don't need glue to mount them. I installed a used pair on my VN750, and they held just fine without glue. Did the same on my 1600 when I installed the Pro One rail grips. They haven't come loose yet.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
You don't need glue to mount them. I installed a used pair on my VN750, and they held just fine without glue. Did the same on my 1600 when I installed the Pro One rail grips. They haven't come loose yet.
Any special tips when you install them? I've never installed new grips before. Figure the left side will be relatively easy, but the throttle side I was worried about. Have heard that regular alcohol will help ease the grips off, then just put hair spray on the metal before installing to keep them seated.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Any special tips when you install them? I've never installed new grips before. Figure the left side will be relatively easy, but the throttle side I was worried about. Have heard that regular alcohol will help ease the grips off, then just put hair spray on the metal before installing to keep them seated.
Once you get them off, you'll see it's pretty easy to reinstall them. You just have to make sure you keep the cables straight on the throttle grip, but it's really pretty easy. I never tried anything other than water to slip them on. If they're not tight enough you can always put electrical tape on the bars under them. I believe that's what I did on my 750.

I used a wrench just large enough to slip over the bars to remove the old grips (pounded on it against the grip end with a hammer to slip it off). The install guide says to cut the grips, but I wanted to save them. The stock grips on my 1600 were glued on pretty hard. I ended up peeling them back to get them off.

I don't understand why Kawasaki uses such cheap, crappy grips for stock grips. I suppose they figure people are going to change them out, anyway.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Thank you for your input...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts