1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my Hwy Pegs, I'm looking for that accessory item that
really stands out on most bikes... Kury Iso Grips. Is there a model that
will fit Lena?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I used the ones for a Goldwing, They also have a 7/8 handelbar but they are longer and give you more room for your hand. Also if you add a throttle rocker it wont get in the way of your hand.
You will need to sand the right side down to fit the new grip.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the right grip for the job. I was almost ready to order the Kury
7/8" Universal grip, but I would imagine that it would have to be sanded down to, and be somewhat short. Why only the right side gets sanded down? Am assuming that it's the metal bar that needs sanding?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
The metal bar on the left side is a perfect fit, The plastic throttle on the right side has to be sanded down and the tabs removed. You will understand whan you get the rubber grip off. If you want to add a throttle lock now is the time to do that to. Added alot to long rides, gives you the ability to relax the right hand/wrist .
Here is a link to a wright up about installing them
http://tinyurl.com/ve5ty

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I actually didn't glue the right side. It fits so tight hasen't moved in 2 years.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found Kury Iso Grips for GoldWings at WINGWORX.com a large Goldwing site
for $58, along with Stilletto ends for $35. The Stilletto ends will give Lena, sort of a "don't mess with me" or "bad" look. - LOL -

Now I can say Lena is part upper crust Goldwing.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I saw a set of helmet locks that I'm pretty sure were for the Kury grips.
They went on the ends of the grips inplace of the plug.
Looked pretty sharp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put some on recently and couldn't glue them either. Even after sanding and grinding down the plastic on the throttle it was very hard to get them on. The problem is when you'd twist it, the rubber would start to bunch up and come out of the grip. I finally got it on, it took quite a while. I took the end cap off and squirted some glue in that way. I stretched the throttle return cable in the process and had to adjust it a good bit afterwards to get the throttle to spring back like it should.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up DanL, will make sure I grind and sand down as far
as humanly possible.

Maybe CCspinner has some suggestion on how to avoid what happened to
you Dan?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
NOt really just go slow and keep trying with out forcing. If you remove the end cover it will allow air to escape an dnot be trapped causing p[ressure to be built up.
Some people have also put something in the end to take up space so the end rubber is not soft sence the bars won't make it to the end of the grip.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you want to get the grips on with very little difficulty spray some carb cleaner in side of grip not a lot and try sliding it on it should be a piece of cake.Then give it about 5 min and you are good to go......................

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
A little dish soap and water works well. The water evaporates and they stick fine. I glued my left Kury on but the right one was tight. I also have the helmet locks, they look great but your lid is upside down. I wouldn't leave the lid locked on for a long time or some rectal cavity might decide to leave a depost in it. Not a lot of respect left for others items in this world. I picked mine up @ Eastern Performance Cycles. The grips not only look good but the provide vibration dampening that I noticed immediately.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Kuryakyn grip experience

I just finished installing my Kuryakyn Iso-grips and Dually pegs. The clutch side grip was a piece of cake, the throttle side proved to be a challenge though. I sanded down the ribs on the throttle sleeve, but that grip would not go on all the way for a test fitting. I ended up having to remove the rubber inserts, and use a saw blade in my grinder to open these up before it would go on. Even with the extra work required, I'm very pleased with the final result :smiley_th . I thought i'd pass this on for anyone else attempting this in case they run into the same problem. See pic of final result below.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Did you use the Goldwing Grips?

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I don't think so, I went through my local Kawa shop and they ordered them for my model. The package says "Universal Iso-grip for 7/8" Bars", the Kuryakyn part # is: 6241. It was strange, the clutch side fit so perfectly, but the throttle side didn't have a chance of going on without some modification. But, I got out for a nice long ride yesterday, and these grips feel great.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Kuryakyn pn 6180 are the ones for the Goldwings that we use on our bikes. Same grip, just a little bit longer to give more hand room.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I used the Goldwing ones, Yes they are longer, nice if you ad a Throttle boss as I did.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Good to know for the future, I did notice that these are about 1/4" to 3/8" shorter than the stock grips. Thanks for the info Dianna.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Just found a pair of the 6180's on a motor sports site listed for $49. Called and they had to honor the price even though it was wrong. $7.50 shipping. They only had one pair left in stock. I'll bet they change the website soon.:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts