Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VN750 has to take tops for most coffe grinder clutch noise until warm. sometimes still doing it even couple of miles away!(not constantly, but at each takeoff)
the VN700 we have has never made a peep. I have tried different oils, and still grinding away. sounds like a sick dog coughing up the neighbors cat.
but once you out of first and going your good. maybe I should replace the clutch. Hmmm.
anyway, they say it does no harm, so I keep on riding I suppose.
beavis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does the same thing but it also chatters and jerks when it takes of ...once it warms up it is fine ....does your's chatter

Matt

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
links not working, at least not at this time. Dianna, but thanks for the help.
Beavis

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Not working for me either..
RB
:confused:
beavis said:
links not working, at least not at this time. Dianna, but thanks for the help.
Beavis

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can't get to the links because we can't get to the yahoo groups. This happens often. Way too often for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think so. Tried the links with no success, but was able to get into group with no problem.

Dianna, Another good thing about this forum is that it (as far as I have seen) doesn't break up links. Since tinyurl's are only good for a certain amount of time anyway, we can post the actul URL's here and have them saved for posterity.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ordered me a upgrade kevalr plate set and new stronger springs, I hope to get it in before KY lake. will post how the repair goes, so far cost me around 107.00 for the ebc kevlar kit with springs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
beavis said:
I have ordered me a upgrade kevalr plate set and new stronger springs, I hope to get it in before KY lake. will post how the repair goes, so far cost me around 107.00 for the ebc kevlar kit with springs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
beavis said:
I've got over 30,000mi and I don't have any real clutch problem other than sometimes missing second from first, but I was thinking abt replacing the the springs & friction disks w/ something from Barnett. Keep us posted, Beav, on the upgrade and what you find when you open that cover...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sure will!
hoping it will come tomorrow, and ill put er in sat morning if not fri night....
thanks for the good luck wish, I usually need it

see the site link in my signature for the photos of the dissasembled components, showing the uneven wear.

beavis

·
Registered
134 Posts
A Barnett or EBC upgrade should do the trick. I have a '96 wih 7K on the clock and a stock clutch. I sometimes get that horrible sound but can modulate the lever such that it is quiet. Oil type and weight don't seem to have much of an impact.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: King of Coffe Grinding is me!!---FIXED!!!!!

I can now relenquish my crown.
I installed a new EBC Kevalr plate and spring kit, re-used my steel plates.
All working perfectly after a 200 mile ride today through several stop and go situations, cold or hot, it hasnt made a peep.

I think that some have the wrong idea about the noise. I dont think it is so much slippage in the thick oil, as it is actually a "grab". I think this now, because my shifts are so muck smoother now, and dont have that jerk when I let out the clutch like it used to. The old plates looked perfect, but I suspect they were contaminated with improper oil or something that may have made them grabby. (P.S. Rotella T 15W40 -DOES increase this problem!!!, I reccomend not using it now.) also there was the signs of uneven wear noted by others with this trouble, I hope the new springs cure this, but only time will tell.

the wear was so slight on the clutch though, that it was only that the plates were polished a little in areas, and factory honed in others, but nothing I would say was "worn" maybe this uneven clamp down actually encourages this grabbing situation somehow. but so far with the new plates, I am impressed. $107.00 well spent.

reccomended to anybody with this trouble.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Beavis,

Glad to hear your clutch is working well. Is the clutch lever stiffer/harder to pull now that you have the heavy rate EBC clutch springs in there? How long did the job take?

I see nothing wrong with using Rotella. It's hugely popular on all the MC forums including the Yamaha V-Star forum and the Suzi Bandit 1200 and those scoots are air cooled! I think you may have had a unique problem because, as you said, at one time the wrong oil may have been used in your scoot and contaminated it. I'm guessing you bought your VN750 used and the previous owner may have run an energy conserving oil like a 10W30. I've run Rotella T and it's shifts and feels every bit as good as the fresh oil I just put in this evening (10oz of Amsoil's MC 10W40 and 2+ qts FormulaShell 10W40).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes thge lever feels twice as hard to pull as before, even though im sure it isnt really that much harder, and as for my unique problem, yes it had other factors, but when I used regular castrol 10 40, it would only do it occasionally, when I used the rotella, it did it much more frequently....and somebody told me the zinc in rotella is a friction modifier. so maybe that was the cause? whether it would ever be a problem on a known good clutch is yet to be seen, but somebody posted last week with a fairly new bike starting the same thing, and they said they have been using rotella......so I will err on the side of caution and not plan to use that anymore in mine. but to each his own and good luck to all!!!
Beavis

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I don't think I'd like a harder clutch pull but if that what's it takes then so be it. As for Rotella, ya probabaly shouldn't use any 15W40 diesel motor oils as I'm sure the formulations aren't that different. I like it because it's made from group II basestocks where as 10W40s are from a vastly inferior group 1 basestocks which do work well and protect our 750 engines if changed every 2500 miles or less (preferably every 1500-2000 miles).

·
Registered
103 Posts
2001 with 15000 miles. I used Rotella-T 15W40 for the first time on my last oil change about 500 miles ago, after using Amsoil 10W40 High Performance synthethic for the previous 3 oil changes. The coffee grind noise is more pronounced, and I am started to get neutral on the 1st to 2nd shift. I will not use it again. I will be going back to the synthetic on the next change, and it will be a lot sooner than I had previously planned.

My $.02

·
Registered
134 Posts
Amsoil's MC 10W40 is the best! Most of our scoots seem to be just fine with plain old 10W40. I'm surprised to hear yours needs the best oil made to shift properly.

I run my winter storage oil (regular .75/qt FormulaShell 10w40) for a few weeks each spring in my Vulcan and Suzuki and they shift just fine with it. They do shift a bit quicker/smoother with 10 oz of Amsoil added or when I use Rotella T.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a FYI...

The box my clutch came in said "do not use synthetic motor oils with this clutch"........

maybe it is because it is a kevlar clutch? or could there be an issue with all clutches lurking about....\
beavis

1 - 20 of 29 Posts