Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried making floorboards from kiln dried oak? Properly routed and finished they would be durable, skidproof and good looking!

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's already been done! Actually the kiln dried oak would be stronger than some of the diamond tread ones Ii've seen done. I know it sounds hoakie, but so didn't the idiea of usiing LED side markers for turn siignals until I mounted them in sardine cans....actually looked good.

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a matter of fact, I need to post some pics on here of some of the more economical improvements I've made instead of going the trendy route of buying off the shelf! Like my old friend Fernando Lamas use to say, it's better to work good than to look good.........or was that Jesse James that said that?

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Hey... My first floorboard was a cast iron grate from a BBQ smoker box I found at Lowes with a cut up welcome mat on top:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490867020/

But I progressed to a more suitable material. (3/8 aluminum plate)

Only real problem with wood is it doesn't do well in wet weather. It's great for fabbing up a prototype as it's alot easier to work, but it just doesn't last.

What be better is that white plastic they make cutting boards from. Totally waterproof, anti rot, anti bacterial and light weight. Very strong too. You could just machine grooves in the top for traction.

Maybe they make it in black too?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
@KnifeMaker: That, my friend, is a work of art!

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the wood, cut it to shape, quarter round the outside edge, stain it, polyurethane it, cut out outdoor step tread to use against slippage and wallah! Then again, they did film the movie Deliverance right down the road here! They also filmed Thunder Road here, but Ii digress!

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I think I'd use marine grade plywood and spar varnish..;)

And I have to say you're not the first person that's thought of making floorboards out of wood. I think one or two have actually done it. I know one set did end up breaking on them.

I was going to make a set out of those "big foot" gas pedals...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Barefoot-Gas-Pedal-Cover,1189.html

But I couldn't find a "left" foot.:)

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was worrieid about that breakage thing too so I thought of routing out a place on the bottom for some metal that would add strength. I have a piece of 1/4 plate steel that isi long enough but only about 4 iniches wide, not wide enough for a floorboard, but good enough for support. I meant to say spar varnish, polyurethane doesn't do well outside. I don't like plywood, marine or otherwise, eventually iit wiill bend iin the heat or wet and here it is humidi and hot in the summer. At least I could make a set to use until I can find somethinig else. Thanks for the input though.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I know it sounds hoakie
No it dont...Ive made LOTS of things from wood...jar openers, hubcaps, etc...I think I'd use hickory or black walnut rather than oak though. Theyre more like teak and have a tighter grain (Im very well versed in teak). Id also band the edge with steel or aluminum (copper or brass would be cool) and bond it to a thin aluminum plate. You could rout out grip areas, then fill with thin vaccuum line epoxyed in.
And no, I aint been drinkin. Still's been gone for 10 yrs now. And Ive seen some nice customs made using wood...if its done right....etc...

.........or was that Jesse James that said that?
Hope not.....any moron who supports that new show "Devil's Ride" is more of a nutcase than I thought. Jesse has a lotta talent, but he's a headcase.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
OK. I throw down a challenge. (that I won't be participating in) to create a "Woody" Vulcan 750.

You can't just do floorboards and stop there... They'll look out of place. But if you do matching wood panels on the tank, side covers, seat rails, and maybe even the fenders. ...that be freaking cool.

Early Chris Craft is what I'm thinking ...
http://1940barrelback.blogspot.com/2009/09/riva-cruise-in-oslo-harbor.html?m=1
..... but color and wood choice is up to you.

First one to post up real photos gets a cheap prize to be announced later...:)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You can't just do floorboards and stop there... They'll look out of place.
I agree...needs to look like one of the old "Woody" surf wagons (surfboards optional...)...

Knife, seeing as I live on a big bi-state lake, we have an annual "Classic Boat Show" here....I bet you'd LOVE it !!!...I actually have an unfinished 40's Klepper in my yard....was gonna make it into a plane...made the wings and all (another thread for that)....yaaa...Im as much of a loon as Jesse James....but Im better at it, and I dont sell out....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Sorry for sorta hijacking yer thread Able...I make a nice Mountain Ash berry vodka...I got a bottle with yer name on it fer doin so....

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hickory is an excellent idea, and I like the banding idea. You're probably right about Jesse James, but I guess that's why I like his bikes......normal people scare the bajesus out of me! I think the wood floorboard is something anybody with some common sense could do even if they only had a hand saw and pocket knife. As far as stills go, my brother in law built the last one around here and died from enjoying it too much. In these parts it's about a dying art. Everybody is into hydrophonic weed growing it seems!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I gave my still up due to too many yuppie hikers coming up from the city (and my partner moved to S Carolina...inherited a 400ac farm with house, workshop, barn, AND a MORGAN !)...I still got the know how, and unless my daughter's interested (I disowned my son), will prolly die with me...folks got too lazy now too..."hell, cut and chop wood, fire up a kettle, pipe water from the spring ?...what fer ?... I got a liquor store just 2 blocks down..."....end of an era I guess....and now ya can buy Everclear (but aint the same)...
And ya...the harder/denser the wood the better...teak would be the best, but when working it, ya kill yer lungs (bad dust)...local stuff, hickory and walnut (bad for lungs too) would be best bet...the REAL best would be Madagascar Mahogany...but ya may as well by premade at that point...I made a mandolin fretboard from that mahogany...the blank cost $30 20 yrs ago...teak can be had for a lot less...ALSO...surprised I forgot, aged/submerged pucky cyprus...that'll last forever too. Be easier to get that by you, yer closer. Go with that !!!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
damn you wolfie.. now I have more ideas... I need to get off this damn pc and start building my bike instead of helping every one fix theirs. and I need to pick a direction to go with the build.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...ruh roh...my local hardware stotre has wood patterned shelf paper....mwaaa haaa haaaa

What about building a small still right onto the bike, and using the yield for fuel ????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts