Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read gcextreme's post about his coworkers crash. We all hope for his full recovery.
My 12 year old son likes to ride on the bike with me. He has been riding with me for two years. My wife doesn't like it at all when he rides. A few weeks ago, during a club ride in our area, a female passenger was thrown off when the driver swerved to miss an animal in the road and hit the curb. It was low speed and I don't know if the bike even went down. Unfortunately she hit her face on a guard rail and although she is recovering, it will take a very long time. Four years ago a lady fell off the bike in a similar incident a couple miles from our house and was killed buy following traffic.
My question is, am I a fool for having him on the bike or is it relatively safe if done carefully? I would like everyone's opinion.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a 7 year old and an 11 year old. They both love riding with me. Safe? Heck no!! Riding a motorcycle is fraught with danger...

When my kids ride with me they wear full face helmets and I really only ride the around the neighborhood or on very low traffic back roads. They could still get horribly maimed, but I figure it's a risk I am comfortable with. Then again...I'm willing to jump out of an airplane so I might not be the best person to talk about acceptable risk. :)

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Safe? No! Would I do it? Probably not. I'll let my nephews ride with me (6&11) but I don't go out of my neighbourhood, and don't go over 20mph. Do I think it is wrong or look down on others for it? Not at all.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Have him on the bike and ride safe and defensively. JMO

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Going up and down your street at low speed is one thing....going for a ride on public roads and traffic at posted speeds is another. I'd never give a minor a ride except for that slow ride down my street. And they would have to have a helmet ,gloves, etc and reach the footpegs.

To me, once they are old enough to make their own decisions, can leagally drive themselves, they can choose to go on an extended ride with me.

Ask yourself if your son got seriously hurt, or killed, whose fault it would be? Could you live with it? Could your wife live with you?

I wouldn't take the risk myself. Once my daughter was old enough to make her own choice as an adult, and after explaining the danger that exsists, I finally gave her a ride on my bike.

Just my view on this....but giving a ride to any minor, yours or someone else's, is sitting on the edge of "child endangerment".......

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Going up and down your street at low speed is one thing....going for a ride on public roads and traffic at posted speeds is another. I'd never give a minor a ride except for that slow ride down my street. And they would have to have a helmet ,gloves, etc and reach the footpegs.

To me, once they are old enough to make their own decisions, can leagally drive themselves, they can choose to go on an extended ride with me.

Ask yourself if your son got seriously hurt, or killed, whose fault it would be? Could you live with it? Could your wife live with you?

I wouldn't take the risk myself. Once my daughter was old enough to make her own choice as an adult, and after explaining the danger that exsists, I finally gave her a ride on my bike.

Just my view on this....but giving a ride to any minor, yours or someone else's, is sitting on the edge of "child endangerment".......
KM, Are you going to place every kid in bubble wrap and chain them inside? Aren't there risks in taking a kid in a car, on a snowmobile, on a boat, in a canoe,or on a plane? The OP's son wants to enjoy quality time with his dad. Kids more than ever need to get outside and more importantly spend time with their parents.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

I really need to question your thoughts on how taking a kid on a bike can be classified as borderline child endangerment. I suppose taking them in a car is the same thing??

Kenny

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
KM, Are you going to place every kid in bubble wrap and chain them inside? Aren't there risks in taking a kid in a car, on a snowmobile, on a boat, in a canoe,or on a plane? The OP's son wants to enjoy quality time with his dad. Kids more than ever need to get outside and more importantly spend time with their parents.
I said that's "my view" on it. Everyone gets to make their own choice here....I thought the point of posting was asking his others here felt about it.
To quote his last line:
"I would like everyone's opinion"

I gave mine. I was answering his question, not asking for your view of it...:)

Want to spend time with your kid? Do something they like to do with them, not something YOU like to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first ride on a motorcycle, I was 6, on the back of my Dad's best friend's Honda. That was 42 years ago and I still remember it fondly. I've loved motorcycles every since. Back roads with a helmet on, I see no problem. Death will come to us all one day or another. If this is something your child likes and you are confortable with it....go for it.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Yes its dangerous... so is almost everything. Have I done it? No.... Not yet... I probably will at some point. It'll be a very careful and controlled thing.

I still remember my first ride on a friend of my mom's bike... I love that memory.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i have a son that is 6 and a doughter that is 7 they both get to putt around the block with me and they both can reach the pegs i se no harm in it as long as you teach them to hold on i tought mine by leaning the bike left and right 45 degrees at a stop and see if they fell off

on another note i had a cop pull me over in my neighborhood trying to right me a ticket but in texas as long as the kid is yours and has a full face and is at least 6yrs old it is legal cps will try to prove otherwise but it is legal

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
If my Grandkids want a ride, and their parents consent, they will ride when they can reach the pegs. The shorter kids will have to ride in the yard or fields, maybe in front of me (legs crossed on the tank) but they won't be left out if they want a ride. I already have the helmets to fit them. Hell I took my dog for a ride and she loved it.

I was about 7 when my uncle let me ride with another older kid on a Suzuki TC 125, the one with the high/low range trans, I survived and have been riding ever since.

Jeesh, a school bus is dangerous. Ever see the videos of kids bouncing up to the roof? No seatbelt, no airbags, no helmet, projectiles flying around, and last I looked not much padding anywhere if any.

My kids rode with me, rode their own bikes and ATVs, water skied and tubed, even swam in rivers, dove off rope swings and cliffs too.

Teach them to hold on, lean with the bike, and no sudden moves at any time. Show them which parts are hot too.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I learned to ride ATV's at a young age, my Dad took me on the motorcycle at a young age, I actually did not like it, I think I went once and that was enough.

Reaching the pegs is a necessity, proper gear, and training in my opinion is a necessity.

Teaching them not to wiggle around and finding a safe place to put their hands is also necessary.

Kids ride atv's under age, I do not know the laws but I assme if they can reach the pegs then it is ok for them to be a passneger in most states.

People I know want me to take their children for a ride, quite frankly, I do not want the responsibility. Maybe the one friend with the older kids is fine, but 8 years old, even 10 years old - if they are not mine or related (niece / nephew) I do not want to take them then.

kenny

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
i also take my kids on rides(8 and 12) they know to lean with me, hug tight on turns, never take your feet off the pegs, and always wear a helmet ,jeans and gloves.
i ride super defensive to the point of paranoid (almost)
and i keep it about 3 to 5 under limit
i dont care if i get passed
they love it hell my first was when my dad sold the only car in november and got a bike!
i got squished between my dad and mom in the freezing cold when i was 4 alot!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've taken my 4 year old out a few times but stayed in my community. Never left 2nd gear and just took my time. Not much traffic in my community so only thing I am paranoid about are the driveways. Put a helmet on him and am teaching him how to hold on and lean. He loves anything with an engine so this is a way we can bond. I will not take him out on the main roads till he is much older.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I take my oldest (12) with me all the time on the bike, I have been doing so since she turned 8. My youngest has been around the block a few times to get her comfortable around the motorcycle but will have to wait untill 8 for more than that. The only reason 8 is the age is that is the law in MI.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Here in NJ there is no passenger age restriction....no mention of weight or height either.

I have an 8YO daughter that begs me to take her for rides. I have taken her around a parking lot and around my neighborhood once or twice with helmet and proper pants/shoes, but not on the main roads or highways. She can reach the pegs and sits and balances well. She is actually a good passenger.

I am actually torn on this one because I would love to take her on longer rides, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something were to happen to her. I guess it really is up to the individual and what they are comfortable with. I won't take just anyone as a passenger, but that is just me I guess. I hate giving people that I don't know and trust on rides simply because I am not sure if they know what to do or how they will act. I have been in a situation before where a passenger's jerky movements cause some instability and made me nervous as the driver.

I hear members mention that say they teach their passengers to lean in turns...this is the complete opposite of what I instruct my passengers. I want them glued to the sissy bar sitting up straight at ALL times so I can control the lean and the bike...not them. If they get overzealous and lean too much, then I wind up fighting them to gain control....seems a bit counterproductive to me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I rode my son quite a few places on the bike. As time goes on it's less and less. Why? Because I keep being confronted in newspapers, tv where a motorcyle rider and sometimes passenger where hit and somtimes killed when the motorcyclist had absolutlely nothing to do with the accident. The most recent one was a retired cop sitting at a stop light when a drunk turned the corner and hit both him and his wife on the bike. It's a risk, just manage it. Think about the time of day, your route and any other factors you can think of.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
spok - when you say lean with the bike, I assume you mean if the bike is at a 30 degree angle then the person is too? You do not want your passengers leaning and trying to make the bike do stuff, just have them relax and hang out back there, in my opinion.

If you ask them to lean, it takes away from the driver's job.

kenny

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
spok - when you say lean with the bike, I assume you mean if the bike is at a 30 degree angle then the person is too? You do not want your passengers leaning and trying to make the bike do stuff, just have them relax and hang out back there, in my opinion.

If you ask them to lean, it takes away from the driver's job.

kenny
I require my passengers to sit like a statue, with only mild head turning at most.

:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 31 Posts