Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a $44 BMW kickstand puck/pad and at first was taken back by my less than $1 electrical plate cover equivalent. It works just fine and is thin, little weight and easy to transport (and replace at less than $1). I know that some vendors give out fancy puck/pads at shows for promotion (easy win), but what are folks using and paying for a kickstand puck/pad?

p.s. I've added a string with a loop for the handlebars to indicate that the puck/pad had been deployment and for easy retrieval. A feature not available on the $44 BMW model.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I recently saw a $44 BMW kickstand puck/pad and at first was taken back by my less than $1 electrical plate cover equivalent. It works just fine and is thin, little weight and easy to transport (and replace at less than $1). I know that some vendors give out fancy puck/pads at shows for promotion (easy win), but what are folks using and paying for a kickstand puck/pad?

p.s. I've added a string with a loop for the handlebars to indicate that the puck/pad had been deployment and for easy retrieval. A feature not available on the $44 BMW model.
Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that said a sucker is born every minute:BLAM:

·
2,528 Posts
I got 2 or 3 from the last bike show from the insurance booths for free. Another easy thing to carry in your saddle bag. Never know when you need one.

·
Bat
161 Posts
I got one free for taking the MSF riders course. Choice of Pink, blue, or gray. With hole for retrieval string (not included).

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
$44!!??

Working in a machine shop that has a laser cutter, I've aquired a few outta the scrap bin. Most are round and about 3-4 inches in dia. and 1/8" thick
I've forgotten some here and there but always have a couple in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
292 Posts
$44!!??

Working in a machine shop that has a laser cutter, I've aquired a few outta the scrap bin. Most are round and about 3-4 inches in dia. and 1/8" thick
I've forgotten some here and there but always have a couple in the saddlebags.
I've done the same thing myself

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The critters are a steal at $19. I cut a 4" square out of an old aluminum sign and keep it in the bag. Hadn't thought of putting a string on it though, so thanks for that tip! BTW, I'm willing to sell them, string included, for only $10 each. You don't have to be a BMW rider to buy one! :D

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Scrap wood.

DT

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
what's the purpose of the pucks? I thought they'd be bigger than that if they're meant for terrain where your kickstand will just dig into the ground.

There's many streets here that are only loose dirt, so using the kickstand there would be pointless, was thinking about a puck, but I think I think I'd need a bigger one because of the sand here (think desert dunes... that kinda sand).

Oh and those critters are awesome lol

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
what's the purpose of the pucks? I thought they'd be bigger than that if they're meant for terrain where your kickstand will just dig into the ground.

There's many streets here that are only loose dirt, so using the kickstand there would be pointless, was thinking about a puck, but I think I think I'd need a bigger one because of the sand here (think desert dunes... that kinda sand).

Oh and those critters are awesome lol
You'd be amazed at how well the little pucks work on sand. I have a $5 one I got from Cycel Gear, and a LOT of the shoulders in the mountains where I ride are sandy. Haven't had a single problem yet.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Flattened beverage can - free, and usually one laying around somewhere if you need it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hmm I'm just gonna have to try it to see how well it actually works.

And Hoss, you know it's not a "beverage can", it's a beer can!! lol

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
What's that cheater bar for?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
KM, really like your mounted puck, but couldn't find any pics of it in your photo links. Do you have any details on how you made it? Just two plates bolted together?

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Flattened beverage can - free, and usually one laying around somewhere if you need it.
I'm glad I read throug these first. 'Cause I use a soup can, if I use anything.
Tried an aluminum beer can, but it got torn up. Campbells Chicken Noodle. Tough.
Mmmm, good!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
To get more leverage to pop the bike on the center stand. I find 233lbs. does the trick.
ah ok, I thought so, but wasn't sure... better to ask, I think... thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts