Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Yearround Rider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me leaning or the bike? A few days ago I newly noticed the bike seemed to be canted more than usual when on the kickstand. On checking, there is about 3/4" play at the end of the deployed ks when on the centerstand. The manual has no specs.

The inboard bolt would not turn and seemed snug. I'm wondering if the wishbone end could spread (38K), probably indicating need for a new stand, or possibly a shimming? Or is there no problem at all? What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
They seem to loosen up with time/age. At one of the Gatherings I noticed the older bikes seemed to lean over more while on the stand than the newer ones.

Some have used washers , new bolts, etc to fix the problem. I have seen bikes with much more than 3/4"s of play in the ends, but you might want to examine yours and see what would be the best route to fix it some.

I think the most reported problem is the "hole" expanding over time, making replacing the stock bolt with a larger one the usual solution.

KM

·
Yearround Rider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. A temp set of wood chocks/plastic foot will do for a while for those times when fully loaded or hot pavement. If a better fix arises, will post.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My bike only has 1/3 the miles you do and I have serious lean into the sidestand too. I haven`t measured how far the end of the stand moves out, but think it is probably at least 3/4" too. I pulled it off 2 years ago and measured the hole in the stand and frame mount as well as the bolt diameter. I was expecting quite a bit of wear, even enough to be visible, but it was only several thousandths of an inch difference between the bolt and hole diameter, not sure exactly how many now. A hockey puck is about the right thickness to put under the stand to have the correct amount of lean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts