Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to bypass the kickstand interlock switch without damaging the bikes electrical system?
I've tried cleaning mine but it still takes several tries of wiggling and kicking to get going. I don't see much point in replacing it just to end up in the same position down the road.
Unlesss there is a better design available....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't know about a bypass for the switch. I found on mine (by accident, bike would not let me go anywhere) that the plunger was bent and stuck in the switch. I pulled it out and twisted it (the plunger) so it would not contact the kickstand and have been doing fine without problem. This isn't a suggested method. Damage could occur while trying this on an undamaged switch.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would replace it. I have had my bike for about 5 years and my switch still works fine.
I had trouble with my yammy when i first got it, but working fine now.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
I got one off Ebay (used) to replace my failed switch.

You can get going without it until you get a replacement, but you MUST BE CAREFUL. This allows you to ride away with the stand down. That would be very bad, and I'm not worth suing.

You can bypass it (temporarily!) by unplugging the kickstand switch connector. Then simply run a jumper wire across the contacts in the cycle side of the connector. The KS switch is "ON" when the stand is up, so this completes the circuit and fools the bike into thinking the stand is up. I rode that way for a week before my replacement switch arrived.

If you do a temporary bypass, I suggest making a bright red tag that says "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" and hang it on your throttle grip. Don't remove it until you've raised the stand and it's safe to ride away. Yes, I forgot once...

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
You know, back in the day when I first started riding, they did not have switches on the kickstand. It was just a given that you made sure the thing was up before you took off on the bike.
You also had to remember to turn the fuel "on"....

Nowadays it seems we need fail-safes for these , as either we are just more stupid, of just more lazy.

I realize that the only reason there are switches on the kickstand is because some idiot forgot to kick his up before he rode off, and ended up dumping the bike.......then of course he sued the maker of the bike. (I do believe it was Kawasaki)
My dad always said they make things "idiot proof" because there are just too many idiots.
Then I would say I thnk there is at least one lawyer for every one idiot.

I was looking at those 4 wheel ATV's at my local dealer this week and counted 12 warning labels stuck to various parts of the thing. .....LOL

KM

·
Registered
149 Posts
Caution waking up alive may cause death or serious injury!
My switch don't work, just have a bad habbit of putting the kickstand up before I click it into gear.lol

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
About 15-20 years ago Paul Harvey was telling a story about the warning labels that companies have to put on everything they sell. A step ladder came with a thousand word warning label. And I believe I saw a Ruger revolver with 4 or 5 lines of warning forged or engraved into one side of the barrel. All this BS just because common sense is not so common as it used to be.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I remember a few years back a comedian had a stand up routine that was centered around warning labels on products. All about who could have been stupid enough to have the company feel like they needed to warn against using their product in that way. Kind of also reminds me of "Here's Your Sign"...

·
Registered
143 Posts
My switch doesn't work at all either, actually, I didn't really even think about there being one on the bike till someone on here mentioned it... Then I looked at it, and sure enough, the switch exists, does not work, but it is there. I knew that other bikes I've been on (my in-law's bikes) have them, and they work, but mine didn't...

But, it's all the same to me, I figure that as long as the switch not working isn't screwing anything up then I don't really care if it doesn't. I haven't even attempted to ride off with the kickstand down, my helmet on the sissy bar and not on my head, sure, I've done that once or twice, but not the stand down.

All I can say is that McD's has a warning label about there hot coffee being hot for reason...

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
I like safety devices. They help compensate for my mental deterioration!

·
Registered
1 Posts
kickstand safety cutoff switch

I wish I didn't have to agree with the poster who said he liked the switch because it compensated for his forgetfulness, but I would like to have the switch working for the same reason. I haven't tried riding off with the stand
down yet, and a working switch would ensure I never do. I don't want to think
of myself as the idiot who did something like that, but I'll take all the help I can get. I don't plan to stop riding anytime soon, and I like working on my bike.
Replacing or repairing the switch would be great. I have thought like one of
the earlier posters; just ride the bike and forget the non working switch, but
if I decide to move up to a newer bike and sell this one, it would be good to
have the switch and everything else working. Keep riding and be safe

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I wish I didn't have to agree with the poster who said he liked the switch because it compensated for his forgetfulness, but I would like to have the switch working for the same reason.

I haven't tried riding off with the stand down yet, and a working switch would ensure I never do. I don't want to think of myself as the idiot who did something like that, but I'll take all the help I can get. I don't plan to stop riding anytime soon, and I like working on my bike.

Replacing or repairing the switch would be great. I have thought like one of the earlier posters; just ride the bike and forget the non working switch, but if I decide to move up to a newer bike and sell this one, it would be good to have the switch and everything else working. Keep riding and be safe
Are you sure the switch is adjusted to contact the sidestand when it is down. Perhaps it just does not get pushed in when the stand is down.

If it does make contact, then the switch could be gummed up, jammed with a small rock or just stiff.

Put the bike on the center stand, lift the side stand, then spray some WD-40 or other penetrating oil into the rubber boot on side stand switch and work the little switch lever around to free it up.

IF that doesn`t fix it, do the temporary bypass that Tiki Mon describes about ten posts back, and get a replacement switch for a permanent fix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts