Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a quick test to see if the kick stand switch is defective? I'm trying to help a newby on another forum. It's a '93 and the switch sounds like it's bad. If they cut the wire, will it bypass the switch, or should they connect the wires after the cut? The bike starts ok with the clutch in. When they let the clutch out, the tach jumps around and the bike quits. They've tried to pull out the switch peg and no difference.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Going by some other problems similar to this (jumping tach), it could be the switch. I would think you'd need to connect the wires after they're cut, but I'm not positive.
Could also be a bad coil(s) or igniter, which I believe is how the tach gets it's readings.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Going by some other problems similar to this (jumping tach), it could be the switch. I would think you'd need to connect the wires after they're cut, but I'm not positive.
Could also be a bad coil(s) or igniter, which I believe is how the tach gets it's readings.
you have to connect them. i busted my wires doing my engine removal :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I'm the one accord_guy was talking about. Do you think cutting the wires and connecting them to eachother would fix the tachometer problem too?

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
The kickstand switch is just a safety interlock so you don't try to take off with the stand down. I don't see what, if any, impact this connection could have on your tach. But, those do need to be connected if you don't use the switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i made sure the kickstand switch was pushed in, then left the kickstand down and tried getting the bike to move, and it still stopped. i had also made sure it was out and it stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Cut the wires and see if it will let you ride. If not, connect them bypassing the switch and you should be good to go minus the safety of the kickstand switch. If after connecting the wires the bike still has the same symptoms, it's not the switch and is something else, possibly the IC ignitor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
so let me get this all straight... to do this, I:

cut the end of the wire near the switch

test the bike

if it doesnt work, connect the two wires to eachother and toss the switch.

if that doesnt work, onto another problem

is this correct? i actually take the two wires that came out of the switch, wrap them together at the ends, and tape it back up?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Before you cut the wires, try addressing the problem at the switch first before making it inoperable.
Give it a good dose of wd40 and make sure it moves in and out freely.
You might try contact cleaner first and then the wd40 even.
BTW, a jumping tach IS a sign of a bad kickstand switch.
Does the bike stay running when it is in neutral and the clutch out?

I believe the kickstand switch may only come into play when the bike is in gear. If the symptoms aren't there in neutral then it also points to the switch.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yes, the bike is just fine in neutral
sounds like a kick stand switch. you do have to connect the wires otherwise the bike wont shift into gear without dying

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is just so weird how the kickstand switch could affect the bike in that way, i really hope it works. i will take care of it in the morning and get back to you guys on how it went.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey everyone, it worked! i connected those two wires and taped it up and its just fine now.

Thanks for all your help guys! You just saved me a lot of time and money. thanks!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
You Could Just Trace The Wires Up To The Conector About 12" Up The Wire And Bridge The Terminals In The Conector (much Neater And Reversable)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey everyone, it worked! i connected those two wires and taped it up and its just fine now.

Thanks for all your help guys! You just saved me a lot of time and money. thanks!
SUCCESS. Great job. Just remember to put it down. Been there, forgot that.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Kickstand switch...

Here is a question from the post....
Is it possible for our bikes to have a switch that makes a reduced electrical connection from dirty contacts in the switch and cause it to run poorly? Remember- the switch is down low so it collects all the road grime, similar to our fan switches. Just wonderin'.

Also, keep in mind that I have seen (and experienced) that the bolt to hold the kickstand will loosen up and make the switch not make contact when the kickstand is up.

Last year, I took the bike out of the garage for the first time, placed it on the sidestand in the driveway, and walked away only to glance back and see the bike slowly rolling forward on its way down. I ran and grabbed the backrest, as I was several steps away, and wrestled it back up. Took everything I could muster up. I saved it, but don't want to do that again- so check your kickstand bolts for tightness this spring.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Here is a question from the post....
Is it possible for our bikes to have a switch that makes a reduced electrical connection from dirty contacts in the switch and cause it to run poorly? Remember- the switch is down low so it collects all the road grime, similar to our fan switches. Just wonderin'.
Ah, good point. It's certainly possible.

check your kickstand bolts for tightness this spring.
OK, these are two more things I'll be adding to my 'Down For The Winter... Repair, Replace and Major Maintenance' list.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
My '86 (w/22K) tach jumps around and often, at freeway speed (70MPH) it will go up to 8 or 9 grand and sit there. When I decel, it goes back to jumping around. Other than that this bike runs as close to perfect as one could hope for. Could the bike run this good if there was any issue with the kickstand switch or do you think I should be looking elsewhere?

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
My '86 (w/22K) tach jumps around and often, at freeway speed (70MPH) it will go up to 8 or 9 grand and sit there. When I decel, it goes back to jumping around. Other than that this bike runs as close to perfect as one could hope for. Could the bike run this good if there was any issue with the kickstand switch or do you think I should be looking elsewhere?

·
Registered
143 Posts
if you are going to cut the wires dont do it right at the switch. it the switch isnt the problem you will then have to replace switch or tear apart to make mew connections. move it to an open area that you can easily get the wires back together if needed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts