Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'morning all!

I was wondering if anyone's gone keyless yet? I'm talking about using a hidden switch and a toggle combo. This will hopefully be the start of eliminating the cluttered dash assembly.

Thank you all for the great info already!

Kristoco

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
G'morning all!

I was wondering if anyone's gone keyless yet? I'm talking about using a hidden switch and a toggle combo. This will hopefully be the start of eliminating the cluttered dash assembly.

Kristoco
Several have done it but I guess it all depends on your definition of "cluttered dash assembly". To me it is pretty simple, uncomplicated and well laid out. Everything is easy to see and read and we have a few items extra that many other bikes do not such as headlight bulb condition.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went Key-less and took a ton of lead wires out of the harness from the box all the way to the headlight. I would say about 5 lbs of wire and ends without the extras. I took dash and instruments off and went one speedometer with 90% of the dash built in in a 2.5" round gauge. I will add a voltage reader for the charging system and a temp gauge as well as a waterproof USB phone charger where they key used to go. I plan on having a new top triple tree made once I figure out how I want it all set up for cleanliness. Pics to come soon.

Thank you all,

Kristoco

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Sweet.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Could also find a harness on ebay

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
G'morning all!

Kristoco
I am not saying by any means that you should not do this if you really want it but what do you really gain? You stated that you want to eliminate the cluttered dash assembly but if you get rid of the ignition key then you have to put one or more switches in other places which means you are really just moving the perceived clutter. Unless you are going to eliminate the entire dash you will still have a space where the original key hole was. Anyone watching you can easily see where you have the "hidden" switches and would potentially be able to take a ride with or without your choosing. A key is not impossible to bypass but is a little more difficult to do than flipping a switch. Maybe a setup similar to the newer cars were the keyfob just has to be inside or near the car will be a choice although I hear more and more people disgruntled with this setup. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts