Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
neat article, still crazy to think they manufactured the exact same bike for 20 straight years...

I'm still happy with mine whenever I get to ride it! It HAS been a PITA for restorative maintenance, but it's MINE

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honda Shadow/Magna....??(Had a couple.)
Hmmm......Honda Magna? I have no idea. but as for the Honda Shadow.....when I was looking for my next bike, to move up from my starter bike (Honda CM400T), I looked really hard at a lot of motorcycles. it all came down to the Honda Shadow 750 and the Kawasaki Vulcan 750.
the wife and I, took some friends to the Motorcycle show in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. it was there that I got to see what all the makers had to offer. I made a b-line straight for the Honda's. found the Shadow 750, jumped on it and went to stand it up and was very surprised at how top heavy it was. so I tried the Shadow 600, same damn thing! WTH, Honda?! yeah, I wasn't a big fan of that.
then we made our way to the Kawasaki's. found the Vulcan 750, jumped on it and when I went to stand it up........HOLY KAW! that bike stood right up with very little effort. it fit like a glove. both my friends and my wife said it "fits" you. at that point I knew, yup, this is the "one" for me. that was over 12 years ago and I've never looked back! >:)

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I agree the fit is about perfect and the lines classic. Had mine been more reliable then I would still have it prolly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep thinking about trading/selling my VN for an enduro. Been looking at the Honda XR, Kawa KLR, Suzuki Dr. Yet when I get close to a deal I seem to be the one to back out.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
I think the magna is as good as the vulcan. Also, 10k redline. People love the VN for its high redline, magna is even higher. It looks a little newer than the VN as well imo. Can't imagine it's any harder to work on.... The VN is the devil. I think in the "we need a cheap bike that we can enjoy" category either one is on par.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dunno. . . for me those 4 cylinders on the Magna and the service interval has been a deal breaker. Late models have chain drive, which for me is a double-deal breaker! I am kinda' particular, though. I'm sure they're fine machines--had friends in college that got good service from the Magnas.

GDI

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I keep thinking about trading/selling my VN for an enduro. Been looking at the Honda XR, Kawa KLR, Suzuki Dr. Yet when I get close to a deal I seem to be the one to back out.
My new KLR is a pig of a bike for sure but it's got a good track record and I like to look down at the top of jeeps when I ride by.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
still crazy to think they manufactured the exact same bike for 20 straight years
I don't remember the point at which I fell in love with the idea of having a VN750, but I'm pretty sure my realization that they made the exact same bike for 20 years was close to it. That really got my attention. I realized they must have gotten something really right.

Reactions: roadpouring

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Yeah, and what I don't understand is why they no longer make them. People still want them, obviously.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Well, after 20 years, and with all that changed in bike styling in the meantime, they may have been faced with the choice between ending it and replacing it with something else, or making more changes to the bike than they had ever made before.

Then we'd be talking about how they made it for 20 years exactly the same, and then for the last decade they've been mucking with it, and now it's really a very different machine, under the same name.

Rather than doing that, making a clean break was probably the right move.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, and what I don't understand is why they no longer make them. People still want them, obviously.
Well, after 20 years, and with all that changed in bike styling in the meantime, they may have been faced with the choice between ending it and replacing it with something else, or making more changes to the bike than they had ever made before.

Then we'd be talking about how they made it for 20 years exactly the same, and then for the last decade they've been mucking with it, and now it's really a very different machine, under the same name.

Rather than doing that, making a clean break was probably the right move.

:rolleyes: newbees.......:wink2:

well, there are reasons why Ma Kaw stopped making the VN750. one was, that after more than 20 years, the tooling/casting finally wore out. so, Ma Kaw decided it was time for something else and replaced the VN750 with the VN900. that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waz up buddy. ��
Honestly I thought you might move to the S.
well, well, well. look who decided to grace us with his presence?!

come on man, I'm just busting your Buckeyes. :wink2:

long time, no post! welcome back.

ok, to answer you....I do really like the Vulcan S, but there are still a few things VN750 has that the Vulcan S has not. like shaft drive. the Vulcan S is chain drive. yuck. :frown2:

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Lol chains have been around for ever. Infact I trust them in my vehicles more than belts. Lol but I do still love the simplicity of "shaft". Minus the complications of angle gears to make it go. 😉

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
on bikes, belts drives have been around just about as long as chains drives. I've had chain, belt and shaft drive. my least favorite was chain. I choose not to have another bike that is chain drive. but, that is just me.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
I dunno. . . for me those 4 cylinders on the Magna and the service interval has been a deal breaker. Late models have chain drive, which for me is a double-deal breaker! I am kinda' particular, though. I'm sure they're fine machines--had friends in college that got good service from the Magnas.

GDI
Every design has a fault. No matter how good it is there is always a common failure. Can't say what the Magna is, but if they sell that good it outweighs the issues. Vulcan follows the same lines. I have 4 Vulcans and 0 magnas so...... :grin2: I seem to have made my decision on that. >:)

I'd rather dive straight into a bee hive than pull the carbs, hand wash a pissy alligator than change the stator, and attempt my own Lobotomy than troubleshoot electrical gremlins, but yet I buy them again and again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts