Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2006 VN 750 has 25K original miles on it. I've taken good care of it (especially when I've kept the shiny side up), so I can surely more than double the current odometer reading.

But... I've begun looking around for a possible replacement. What I really like is the new Concours 14. But, practically speaking, I need something smaller and more nimble (and closer to the ground). Yes, I take one, maybe two longer trips a year, but most of my rides are much shorter (and I commute a lot, a 20-mile round trip).

The Vulcan 750 is often compared to the Honda Shadow. But what I'm looking at is the new Honda NT700V.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2010-honda-nt700v-review-89047.html

As you can see, it is kind of a hybrid between a commuting bike and a small sport tourer.

What do you think?

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I like the shaft drive and the fact that it's a Honda. But why do you need to replace your 750? Why go to the expense of replacing something that's running well and looking good, is economical to run and maintain and will likely last many more years to come? Perhaps the urge to get a shining new motorcycle is tugging at your heart, but you know deep down inside that your 750 really is a cool looking, fun riding classic motorcycle. You already own it and it's proven to be mechanically sound. Fight that devilish urge to spend! Be content with the beautiful ride you have. Of course, that's just my practical side maintaining it's grip on me. I hate to spend $$ on things I don't really need, and I can't bring myself to take on debt. But you probably have more fun in life than I do!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like it! I wouldn't mind owning one of those :)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I bought an 84? 700 Shadow and put 23k on it in about a year, and the only problem I ever had was the rectifier went out about 3 times, that is why I sold it, other than that it seemed to be as good as when it was new...
I have a friend that loves the Honda 650 Silverwings, or whatever they are, they look very simuliar to the NT700 you show... Thats about all I can say, good, bad, or ugly...
If I cared for that style of bike I would not be afraid of the Honda NT700... On the other hand I agree with what rubyrick said above...
Have a good one....Old Dog...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
That's a way cool bike! I like the 5.2 gallon gas tank. You won't be stopping at every gas station like the VN750, and the pass-through saddlebags are cool as well. Oh, and the quick adjust windshield is another fantastic feature. I just wonder how it fairs under lots of adjusting up and down. All in all, it looks like a great, lightweight sport-touring bike. I bet if you drive it conservatively, you'll get way better mileage than with the Vulcan.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Grass is greener man, keep the Vulcan. Even if it didn't seem like you were looking for something you already have, that bike is wicked fugly. It looks like a 2 wheeled alien insect with pipes. Just my .02 though...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
That's a way cool bike! I like the 5.2 gallon gas tank. You won't be stopping at every gas station like the VN750, and the pass-through saddlebags are cool as well. Oh, and the quick adjust windshield is another fantastic feature. I just wonder how it fairs under lots of adjusting up and down. All in all, it looks like a great, lightweight sport-touring bike. I bet if you drive it conservatively, you'll get way better mileage than with the Vulcan.
im digging the nt look but it needs more power...for touring

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
im digging the nt look but it needs more power...for touring
I was seriously considering this bike myself ,but price and it appearing to be a little underpowered compared to the VN750 ,caused me to look longer and harder at it.

At the time there was a leftover VFR800 for about the same money,which was still more than I wanted to spend at the time,that was a lot closer to being a smaller version of the ST1300 to me,and factory hard bads are an option on it too.

I like it but I didn't want to go any slower with out a bunch more comfort.
her's a link you may still find a leftover 08 or o9 for cheap if you like 'em
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=1STsTPqaAYKB8gbip9ylAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAw

here's a link to e bay with some new ones for sale if interested

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...&_osacat=6024&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1311

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
....The Vulcan 750 is often compared to the Honda Shadow. But what I'm looking at is the new Honda NT700V.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2010-honda-nt700v-review-89047.html

As you can see, it is kind of a hybrid between a commuting bike and a small sport tourer.

What do you think?
If they had offered that bike back when I was looking, I quite possibly would have bought it instead of the Vulcan. It has been available in Europe for several years, and was just brought into this country last year. My only quip is the high asking price, but now that it has been here for a year you might find a used one at a better deal.

I of course would reccomend a Yamaha FJR1300 ;) , which I like alot more than the new Concours.

KM

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The April, 2010 issue of Rider magazine did a decent review of the NT700.

This bike weighs the same or a little more than the VN750, but has less horsepower (55 vs 65, or so). I expect performance of the NT to be modest, compared to our bike.

Judging by previous posts you've made, you enjoy using a tankbag. Because of the plastic around the NT's tank, using a tankbag will be very problematic, if not impossible.

Note, too...that the NT saddlebags will NOT hold a full face helmet.

The NT manual also recommends an engine valve adjustment check every 8,000 miles. Whether this is really needed of course, is another question.

On the plus side, the bike has already been built for a number of years, so the "bugs" should be long gone for this model. It uses regular fuel just fine. It has shaft drive, a centerstand and tubeless tires, just like the VN750. It has a fuel capacity of just over 5 gals, and a range of just over 200 miles, which is nice. According to the author of the above-mentioned review, the NT700 is an easy bike to ride.

I vote that you check one out at a demo ride, before you buy one. The demo ride will of course give you a chance to really spend some time on the bike, to see if it is a good "fit" for you (having also spent time on a sport touring bike, I would think this is especially true since you are now used to a cruiser-type seating position, instead). Try to find a demo ride at a nearby Int'l Motorcycle show, or go to next year's Americade...or something like that. Maybe a local dealer in/near your area will wise up and do a demo ride on a weekend, or the like.

As KM has already mentioned above, asking prices for a new one are high (as is typical for Honda). I vote that you also wait (if you decide you still want one), and pick one up that has been gently used. I also vote that you "hold out" for one that has the ABS option (someday--you'll be very, very glad you did).

Have you spent any time yet on a NT700 forum? Is it informative about the bike's good and bad points? Are aftermarket parts readily available for this bike (as opposed to our VN750)?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Looks like a great bike

I've been very happy with my GSX650F - http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2008-suzuki-gsx650f-review-83478.html You can often find them very lightly used for somewhere in the 4-5K range. The newer models come with ABS and you can find them used as well.

It's basically got the very reliable Bandit 650 engine in a different frame, with a fairing. The 650 engine is practically identical to the Bandit 1250 engine - almost everything is swapable. In fact, the parts cross-over really puts the GSX650F into the Bandit "family."

I dropped about 1K on bike farkles - pelican bags, rack, windshield, lowering links, aux lights, stebel horn, handlebar risers, grips, etc. In the end I got a very decent sport touring/commuting bike for 5K - and it was one that "fit" me perfectly as far as ergonomics. I can sit "up" on the bike and ride it like a standard, or I can easily lean my torso over the tank, fold my elbows, and drop out of the windflow almost entirely. The only real "drawback" is that it's a chain driven bike.

The bike is low, wide, and about as heavy as my Vulcan. That said, after a few weeks, she'll feel much more nimble. The throttle is smooth and even like the Vulcan's - no dead spots or sudden bursts of acceleration. Where she really excels over the Vulcan is highway travel. You can just effortlessly glide around traffic in the 50-80mph range. I don't mean cutting people off or anything, but the bike is perfect for just kind of floating ahead of clumps of cars or dropping back to give you the space and sight lines you need.

I just did a Miami-Atlanta(ish)-Miami trip a few weeks ago, going from super humid/hot to below freezing (night/mountains/windchill) - I even hit downpours on the way back. The bike was flawless.

It is *not* a race bike - although it has enough to hold up against the other bikes in it's class, if someone were inclined. It's more of a standard/sport touring bike when tricked out.

The NT700 looks really really nice, and has some great features. I just thought I'd recommend the GSX650F to you, in case you're looking for something similar.

Good Luck!

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies.

There are a lot of reasons I am looking at the Honda. One is my fond memories of my Honda Nighthawk 750 (which I sold, later to my regret). The other is the sweet combination of shaft drive, center stand, etc. like the VN 750.

But another is this: some time ago, I rode my son's Suzuki Gladius. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2009-suzuki-gladius-review-88110.html. I didn't like the sport riding position. But I was stunned by the buttery smooth: 1) ride (no vibration, no bumps), and 2) shifting of gears. And it seemed to me that this bike might have that same kind of ride.

Anyway, I do love my Vulcan too, so... I'm not going to do anything rash!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts