Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's my attempt at battling the cold. The hand Guards work great. They deffinatly take the chill off the hands. Even with cold weather gloves, your hands can still get cold. This is pretty simple & Really Cuts the Cold. I used 1/8" clear plex for these. I cut them out with a jigsaw using a pattern I printed out marking the dimension & holes. The brackets are made from some flat rod steel & electrical conduate. The flat rod steel is twisted & bent to acomidate the angle inwhich the plex is to be held. The conduate is pressed at the ends & used for sturdiness. I mad 3 before I got it right. Then just one more for the other side. These mount to the mirror post. Off & on in minutes.

The lowers are made from 1/8" lexan. These need to be thicker or have a reinforcing brace on the back. I'll probably just make a brace. That would be easer. The bracket for the lowers was made from .080 aluminum. I had the idea to use the existing hardware from the bike as I found it difficult to locate any aftermarket clamps to use that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I took a peice of package cardboard (cerial box) & put it in the space in the brace of the tripple tree. Obviously at this point the bolt is removed. Through the bolt hole I shuved a pencil. Thus the hole & space I needed for a tight fit against the fork. The rest is similar to the hand guards. Cut out the plastic, drill some holes and put it all together. Like the hand guards, on and off in minutes.

I've never been on another bike that had lowers so I don't know if they perform properly or not. They deffinatly take the chill off the knee.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Both look great!
The hand guard brackets look super :smiley_th
One thing I'd say about the lowers......
Are you sure the clamp you bolted your bracket through still holds the fork tight?
IMO, it'd be better to mount the bracket on the outside of the clamp, on the bolt head side (unless there's enough of a gap to still hold everything tight)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure the clamp you bolted your bracket through still holds the fork tight?
IMO, it'd be better to mount the bracket on the outside of the clamp, on the bolt head side (unless there's enough of a gap to still hold everything tight)
That was one thought I had. Mount them to the outside. But the .080 aluminum fits the "natural" gap that was left buy my fork clamps. So the clamping strength around the fork hasn't changed. They basically use the space as a brace & the bolt holds it all in place. So, as far as I can tel at this point they're good. I've deffinatly seen a drop in fuel milage, but it's still better than any of my other vehicles. Averaging 42mpg with them on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you ever put latex gloves on under your riding gloves? Your hands will stay warm as toast, but they will be a bit wet when you remove your gloves.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do your lowers keep the wind, coming around the tank. from hitting you in the chest?
I like the looks and if they stop the wind, I think I will make a pair. How may mpg did you lose?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, it makes some differance with that. I was averaging 46mpg & get 41 with them on. I always liked the feel of riding a bike. Feeling the wind. But when the wind is 40 degrees, I don't like it as much! =) One other possible cause, I seem to get slightly lower milage when its in the 40's. My milage is I think a combination of the two.

& No, I've never tried latex gloves.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Kanuck, those look great! And if they keep you warm, the loss in mpg is worth it. Wish I had your McGyver-like skills - I'm gonna have to go to JB Cycles or something. :(

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
The pics don't come up for me, but I'll go with popular opinion and say nice job anyway. ;)

I was thinking about putting on a windshield just for fall/winter riding as well, simply for cold air protection. Still haven't talked myself into though, but if I do, right now I'm leaning towards one like the one up there on Hyper's bike, only smoked.

I don't ride for good gas mileage so I don't care if it drops during the winter either. :)

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
The hand guards are brilliant! You've inspired me to try to make some of my own. Thanks! -Sloppy

·
Super Moderator
11,934 Posts
Great job there.

I can attest that having handguards make a huge difference. I installed a pair of V-Strom "knuckle guards" on my bike and with winter gloves my hands never get cold, even in freezing weather.

There is a company that makes also makes hand guards for bike and atv's called "Powermadd"..they also offer something very simular to the old "Hippo hands" :
http://tinyurl.com/433qan

I rode an old Waterbuffalo with the original hippohands on it in sub 20 weather and my hands stayed warm. Not sure how easy these would fit the Vulcan, but bet they'd allmost make gloves optional......

KM

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Knifemaker, Those look like they'd make you sweat! Pretty cool thought.

nice job, i think clear lowers would match the bike better though.
I thought about that too.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I have something like those that I put on in the winter cold spells. Not anywhere near nescessary till below freezing temperatures, but I can attest that they make riding in 20 degree much more bearable... gloves DEFINITELY nescessary at those temps (not bad when ya consider that ya often want gloves NOT riding at those temps). The one I have do suck in the rain though, kinda hard to get your hand back into the pocket at speed after wiping your shield...

I think I'm gunna have to copy your design kanuck - should take care of all but the worst days.

Knifemaker, Those look like they'd make you sweat! Pretty cool thought.

I thought about that too.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
There is a company that makes also makes hand guards for bike and atv's called "Powermadd"..they also offer something very simular to the old "Hippo hands" :
http://tinyurl.com/433qan

KM
I have something similar to those that I picked up off of eBay a couple of years ago, but I think mine still have some kind of design flaw ('cause my hands still got cold). $40 isn't bad if those really work!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kanuck: Hey thank you for the pics and great tech jobs.
Amsoil man..

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I so need these hand guards, it was 32 this morning and my fingertips hurt so bad, the rest of me was fine. knees got a little cold but not unbearable.
looks like all you need now are some floorboards that curve up like a sled to deflect the wind down and you'll be ready to ride up till the snow. or longer if you want to throw some studs in your tires.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
heres a link, these are for motocross but I'm sure the could be made to work.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product_list.asp/brand/ATV LOGIC/Class3/Handguards/Class2/Handlebars and Controls/Class1/DIRT PRODUCTS

iron pony, man do I love this store. hey kanuck your not far from there do you ever shop there?

actually in that link if you look to the left and click on handguards there is a large selection of mitts and guards made of plastic like kanucks but a bit more stylish. (no offense) but they are actually colored molded plastic that you could get to match your bike.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha! None taken. Hey, I'd buy everything is I could afford it. Like a second bike.=)
The only bad thing about iron pony is trying to get out of there without spending a hundred bucks. The dang place is as bad as walmart.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I think its worse. I never spent 4 hours walking around walmart! it was real easy at the pony. wife wasnt happy, oh well I was a kid in a candy store!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts